What is involved hooking up dual monitor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andreaho, Feb 28, 2006.

1. andreaho

andreaho Private E-2

I use multiple programs when working on my computer (I work on my home pc). I happen to have an extra monitor and am considering going dual screen in an attempt to make that work easier. What is involved in hooking this up and making it work correctly? There is only one monitor port on the back so I assume there must be an adapter or spliter of some type involved.

I have windows XP home edition and from what I think I am reading it supports dualview and I think I understand how to set that part of it up, I'm just not getting the actual hard wiring I guess.

At some point I will be adding a second PC with a KVM? switch if that makes a difference. Work will be providing my pc so I wont have to use my personal one anymore for work purposes but I don't want two keyboards etc. I do understand that part.

Does anyone work like this. Like? Dislike?

Thanks

Andrea

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

I love using dual monitors, makes working on webpages and whatnot so much more easier. Anyway, all you need is two monitors and a video card that supports dual monitor feature, which pretty much every video card on the market has this features now-a-days. Depending on whether or not you're a gamer or work with 3D will dictate what card we'd recommend. The KMV switch can be added easily to a dual monitor setup, as that doesn't really have much effect but I don't think you'll have access to both monitors with both computers unless the KMV supports that which I haven't seen any that do.

3. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

You need a seperate video card for each monitor (if your mother board support onboard it has to be the secondary display). I'm not sure if XP Home supports it or not, I know Pro does (up to 10 displays in fact). A KVM will allow you to use one Keyboard/Mouse and monitor between 2 (or more) PC's.

4. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Actualy you can use a dual head video card. Most new cards are dual headed....One DVI and on VGA (or 2 DVI and no VGA) you can use adapters to convert them to w/e you whant.....

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

What Ace said. Most newer video cards, past couple of years, are dual output. The software helps manage it if you use dual monitors. If your video has dual out, you can do it. Actually, most people are running "duals" because of dual output and dont know it. You can switch between outputs (older cards are 1 analog, 1 digital) in your control panel even with one monitor. Only catch is if your 1 analog, 1 digital is to use the digital for games, movies, etc.

6. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I run Dual Monitors & use a KVM switch.

I gotta say: It Kicks A##

I have three PC's connected full time to my 8 port KVM.
    All three share a 21" CRT, Logitec keyboard & HP mouse.
    One of the three is Dual Monitor setup using a Samsung 19" 930b LCD.
    My PC that is Dual monitor is also Triple boot system running W2k pro, Xp Home, and XP Pro each OS is instaled on it own partition.

Ive been running Dual Monitors & using a KVM for atleast a couple of years
    Setting up one is simple!
    If ya need? I have a AGP Dual head video card for sale :
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=81905
    You can buy 2 port KVM for about $20 & up

7. andreaho

andreaho Private E-2

How do you tell if your video card supports dual output?

8. acejones

acejones A Different Title

it will have two video outputs one the back (1 dvi and 1 vga, or 2 dvi)

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I think a simple way is to right click on Desktop select Properties then Settings tab and click than down arrow next to Displays. Mine indicates my primary device 1. LG Monitor and the option for a secondary display device (a second monitor). I have one DVI and one VGA output for my vid card. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

10. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

XP Home supports up to 10 monitors, just like Pro does.

11. jerseydevil

jerseydevil Private First Class

Why is that Display Properties shows the monitors at different sizes? The resolutions must be different, but why?

12. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

"The resolutions must be different, but why?"

You answered you're own question. The two boxes in display properties get sized based solely on pixel size. The computer doesn't know what size your monitor is, it just knows how many pixels it has.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds