What is it with Win XP and burners?!

Discussion in 'Software' started by CloX-IT, May 19, 2003.

1. CloX-IT

CloX-IT Private E-2

I dunno why it is but The burner works fine after a fresh load for a few months then, boom! No burns! I get errors like "MEDIUM SPEED ERROR" in Nero and other burning progrms fail to write. The drive is FINE cause sometimes it would start burning again if I removed it from device manager and let it reinstall again. It would work for a few burns then fail again. Also it works in other systems. I am SERIOUSLY considering going back to Win98. My systems were ALWAYS stable (unless I O/C'ed them brain dead) and EVERYTHING worked all the time.

Drive is a (Matshita) Just Link 24x10x40

System:

XP 1800+
    MSI nForce2 Mobo
    GF4 Ti4200 128MB
    512MB Pc-2700
    SB Live Plat.
    Maxtor 40GB 7200
    WinXP pro

I am blaming my problems on the Service pack1 for XP and the latest nforce drivers. Everything worked ducky till I installed those.

Rule #1: IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT!

Any Ideas O Geeks?

2. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

I've never had any burn problems with XP.
    I have a Lite-On 32-12-40. Occasionally I will have a read problem with it though.

I lied. I did have multiple burn problems once,, on almost every disk i put in. But that was the fault of some cheap CD-R's I bought. Are your disks pretty good quality?

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

CLOX.. are you referring to the NForce2 drivers that were released today?

I have a lite on as well running winxp sp1 and have never once had a problem. I typically disable XP's burning service though.

4. CloX-IT

CloX-IT Private E-2

I use the 2.03 nforce2 drivers at the moment. It IS wierd.. I just burnt a wack of stuff off and then came back to burn again and it fails...never changed ANY drivers or anything. I'll try the firmware update.

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

6. CloX-IT

CloX-IT Private E-2

Well.. I got it working for now..

Uninstalled my burner software and antivirus software and any other programs I never use anymore and d/l'ed and run a winXP reg. cleaner.. had 360+ invalid registry entries(nuff said).

Reinstalled burner and antivirus software. All works now.

7. CloX-IT

CloX-IT Private E-2

..well I got to burn one more CD.. yaaay!
    now its erroring out again.. I hate computers.

Oh well.. I have had this load on here for three or four months...MUST be time to format.. Dosent Mickeysoft say your suppose to do that every month when using their OS? :rolleyes: Yazz I am being sarcastic..

I know I gotta hit the sack..tired and bothered.

8. MaxPower

MaxPower Private E-2

I just moved from a RICOH 32x to a PHILIPS 48x and I had a lot of trouble for a while!!! I then tried to rip a CD and had no other option than analogue (in AudioCatalyst). (WinXP)

I got the latest aspi drivers and I have had no problems since!!
    But remember also that the higher the burn speed the higher the spec required!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds