What is taking up hard drive space

Discussion in 'Software' started by aumaker, Sep 30, 2012.

1. aumaker

aumaker Private First Class

No new posts so....I had a 150GB hard drive with errors about every 21 seconds. My computer guy replaced it with SATA WD Caviar 500GB. Now when I go to mycomputer and it shows 75GB in use and 147GB total.Not 500 and I normally only have about 30 or 40GB in use. Computer Locks up on me at least 3 times a day and on some files almost every time I try to use them.

Is there something to tell me what is taking up space on the hard drive and why does my computer not "see" the 500GB Hard drive.

Can all ot his be related to the lock ups (no curser movement, no Ctrl/Alt/Del)
    no "X" out must cut power off.

Tom

2. jaydeee

jaydeee Private E-2

I had similar issue, the culprit is kaspersky lap edition.. it has so much files I guess update files taking my space. I removed it and everything gets file.

3. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, aumaker...

We need some more info from you: what's the make and model # of your machine (please include any Service Tag #s), and what operating system version and Service Pack # are you using?

Also, please download and run EVEREST, a free system information tool.

When the scan completes click 'Report', 'Quick Report', 'Plain Text'. Click 'File', 'Save As...', name the report, and save to an easily found location such as your Desktop.

Then attach that file to your next post per these instructions: HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post.

4. aumaker

I can't even figure out how to run EVEREST.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Right click the zip file and select extract.
    Look in the folder with the extracted files and click the one with the i it is everest.exe and will give you information, hence the use of the icon with the i for the program to run.

6. aumaker

Dell Dimension 5150 Service Tag 4LC9RB1 Service pac3 Windows XP, Home edition, version 2002

Tom

Attached Files:

7. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Odd. A 150 GB HD replaced with one that you were told was 500 GB, but shows as about 150 GB. Right where you started...

Double click the Computer icon on your desktop. Right click each hard drive it shows and and select Properties. See what the sizes are of installed hard disks...

If you can manage screenshots, even better...

8. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Could it be that the computer guy took an image of the old drive, then placed it as a 150GB partition on the new disk?

9. aumaker

I'll check with him monday.

10. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

For what it's worth, your Everest report is showing a Western Digital WD5000AZRX, so your computer guy didn't try to slip in an undersized drive.

That's a good shot by pwillener - makes sense...

11. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

Have you had a chance to look at the properties of the HD to determine its size yet?

12. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I suggest that you can use MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition - Free
    to either extend the existing partition or just partition the remainder of the drive.

It will show graphically how much space is there.

WinDirStat is great for giving you a graphical tool to see what is using the biggest
    chunks of drive space.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds