What Is The Best Combination Of Software Protection ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by 20Valve, Sep 2, 2009.

1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

It seems I have been infected. I am not going to try to clean, I am going to perform a new OS Vista install. So . . . .

What is the best combo of protection? I was running Antispyware, Zonealarm Basic, and free Antivir. Apparently something go through somehow. I am careful I surf and I do not access suspect sites.

When I reinstall, I obviously want effective protection. I am willing to shell out a few dollars (not for Norton etc.) to pay for upgraded protection. So, what is a good combination against spyware, firewall, and viruses. Thanks for any input.

I would like to close my post by saying I asked a similar question in the Malware forums and was directed here for similar questions in the future. So I assume this is the correct forum.

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hi 20valve.

This is an easy one :p

AV: www.kaspersky.co.uk Get KAV not KIS
    [KIS is an all-in-one suite which has gotten a bit bloated]
    [it's a paid app's with a free fully functional 30 day trial]

Firewall: www.comodo.com [tis free and very good and light on resources]

Malware scanners: http://majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html

NOTE: these are just my preferences, the're equally good alternatives, ESET-NOD32 is another excellent AV for example.

And ther are many good free firewalls which im sure others will recommend.

Now while you should NOT have anything other than your AV and Firewall running real-time, you cant have to many on demand scanners :)

Q

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi

Unfortunately, no matter what you have on your machine protecting it, things can still get through. Believe me, I've found that out the hard way.

In addition to all the recommended protection you are reading about, something that has helped me at least make more informed decisions on whether to click on a website when I'm doing a search (since there are now a lot of infected websites out there that all you have to do is click on the link) is WOT.

WOT for Firefox: http://majorgeeks.com/WOT_for_Firefox_d5868.html
    WOT for Internet Explorer: http://majorgeeks.com/WOT_for_Internet_Explorer__d191.html

WOT website: http://www.mywot.com/

Basically when you do a search on Google there will be a warning circle if a site has been rated dangerous. You can also right click on a link and choose 'View WOT Scorecard'.

Really, anymore, the most important protection you have is you. Don't download pirated software, music, movies, etc and stay off any questionable sites.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I just read about people clicking a link on the Drudge Report and getting some sort of Trojan/worm so even sticking to trusted sites is no guarantee that you'll stay clean. :(
    It's a jungle out there.

6. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

I use Spyware Terminator with the Real-Time Shield enabled, SpyBot mainly for the immunization feature (It's great for your host file protection and can replace Spyware Blaster), MalwareBytes for weekly scanning, and I use Avast! for anti-virus needs. I also disable activeX in IE, install IE7Pro, and use mainly Firefox with AdBlock Plus and Download Statusbar (with it, I can easily have everything I download scanned by Avast!). I use Windows Firewall and it is more than enough with a hardwire router between your computer and the modem, though the experts here would rather you had a software firewall like Comodo or PCTools.

I've had this setup for more than 3 years with no infections or nasties to report.

Hope that helps!

7. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to Papa
    Had tried PCTools firewall.
    Comodo has it beat all to H___(eck).

8. jblim1980

jblim1980 Private First Class

Mine , I used Avast, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Superantispyware for almost 2 yrs no critical issues encountred, combofix

9. Amethyst_08

Amethyst_08 Corporal

I know what you mean, Plodr, I clicked on a bad link there, too. However, I recently upgraded my Malwarebytes to the paid for version, which has IP protection and it blocked the page. Users have reported what they believe are false positives with the IP protection, and MWB is still working on that, but judging from what you've said, it helped me anyway, having it on my computer.

I'm still deciding re the protection combination issue myself, and it's not easy! I have a desktop and a laptop behind a router, and they are set up as a home network, so they share a printer and there's one shared folder that they can both see. The laptop has a wireless connection to the router. I'm using the Windows XP firewall on both, as well as AVG free, SuperAntispyware free (scanned daily), and Malwarebytes pro version. I know the debate goes on as to whether or not that is enough as far as firewall protection goes. I do believe bi-directional would be better, so I wouldn't mind something more. I did try the free Webroots Desktop Firewall on the desktop PC a few days ago. However, I suspected a possible conflict with Malwarebytes' IP protection, so I removed Webroots. I'm not totally sure if Webroots was the problem, however, so when I have more time, I might try again. Webroots doesn't get the greatest rating, but the desktop is always going to be behind a router anyway. I chose Webroots because other people besides me use the desktop and I figured they didn't need to be plagued with a lot of questions from a firewall. Webroots has a training period and is pretty unobtrusive.

We haven't traveled with the laptop, but we likely will be in the future, so the laptop is going to need better firewall protection when it's not behind my router. I'm looking at stuff that won't conflict with what I already have. I've tossed around the idea of paid for security suites, but I am surprised at how poorly their firewall ratings are compared to the free firewalls. (I don't have the link handy to that page that shows them, sorry!) I think I'll give the free Outpost a try on the laptop, as it does get good ratings. When I clicked a link for that, I found out that right now one can get the pro version free (Why, though???) However, although it would be nice to have tech support, I suspect the antispyware feature might conflict with AVG's antispyware and Malwarebytes as well. I just want a firewall. :)

The more one reads about users' experiences, the harder it gets, although I am mindful of the fact that usually the users who post on the support forums are the ones who are having problems, so it might be easy to get the impression that certain softwares are buggy.

WOT is great! I have it on Firefox, and it did help.

10. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

A sincere "thanks" to everyone for all of the suggestions. I will investigate all of them. Of course there is no perfect combination, but the best way to find out about them is to ask those who use them and go from there.

It looks like I have some research to do . . . .

11. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Stick with the ones referred by everyone here, in any combination, and you will be OK.

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Amethyst_08, thanks for alerting me to malwarebytes effectiveness. I have the paid version on my husband's computer. I usually surf in linux but maybe I should pay for it on my windows computer.

13. Amethyst_08

Amethyst_08 Corporal

I just tried the free version of Outpost on my laptop, running Windows XP Pro SP2 (I have reasons for not going to SP3 right now, but now that I just found out I COULD go back to SP2 if I had to, I'm more inclined to take the plunge!). I thought Outpost was going to work for me, but I found that when I went into the program to edit any of the processes rules, if I clicked on 'properties' and then closed the properties window, the entire program would freeze. There was absolutely nothing I could do with it other than restart the computer. I uninstalled, redid the download, and reinstalled, and the problem remained. So I think I'll leave the laptop in peace for a day or 2 and then try something else. The info at the Outpost site DOES say it is compatible with Vista SP1 and XP SP3.

14. GrapeApe549

GrapeApe549 Private E-2

I'm gonna have to go with the freeby's Avg ,Sygate personal firewall,as far as system optimizers im not sure im using Advanced system care.. but think i would be better with just a registry booster...remember to disable your avg an use once a week if not you will have a coronary when you see how much traffic avg's watchdog uses im starting to think im avg's server lol nah im kiddin hey it's free not too big an works good.

15. GrapeApe549

GrapeApe549 Private E-2

Also when running xp Pro it is a good idea to not surf with the admin account an have a net account limited oh an the password for you main account most want tell you but its a good idea to make it 15 characters servers store passwords up to that so your good an strong i know its alot but don't use that account cept as a must an lock it an hide it .I know sounds good but we all know those bugs are getting good! Don't let anything get hold of your microsoft authentication file

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds