What is the best open source back-up?

Discussion in 'Software' started by shelpdoggSVT, Jan 26, 2009.

1. shelpdoggSVT

shelpdoggSVT Private E-2

Hello all...it's been a while since I posted, but I'm still here....searched a few threads and didn't find what I was looking for...so here it is...

I have a client that has a small start-up business and requires some help getting set up with a back-up solution. I suggested open source to him and that was fine, however; there are a few out there and I'm not sure what to use. I work in the corporate environment, so I never get to use this type of software......so I'll ask the experts to see what you think.

I'm going to set him up with a small NAS device with Raid 1. (500gb - 1tb)

What would you trust to be your choice for backing up your data?
    (remember...open source/freeware only)

Thanks !!!!!!!!

Mike

2. Cmdr Chill

Cmdr Chill Private First Class

Hello shelpdoggSVT, A friend of mine uses Amanda and has said good things about it. I can not say from personal experience but I trust his opinion. Maybe someone else can say more. Here is the download link for it though. http://www.zmanda.com/download-amanda.php Good luck!

3. shelpdoggSVT

shelpdoggSVT Private E-2

thanks chill.....I looked at that one and it seemed as though it was well received. The other one I looked at was Areca.

I'm just wondering how hard these would be to implement. I've never done that sort of thing before, so it makes a difference the ease of install as well as using the interface for set up.

Anyone else want to chime in on Amanda and your thoughts on using it?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds