What is the best program to use to download TORRENT files?

Discussion in 'Software' started by superstar, Jan 24, 2007.

1. DAKz

DAKz Corporal

Jump through some hoops? Maybe if you have a hula hoop in by your computer:D ZA is very easy to set up unless you don't have a mouse. If you think ZA is hard try some of the others, Blackice comes to mind, it is real fun! I think ZA is very easy, I just wish they made a 64bit version! I got the next easiest thing in Outpost Firewall Pro, and theres a lot more to configure then Zone Alarm. If you want a real easy firewall try the Windows Firewall, it don't stop much but it is real easy to use.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  2. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

Well if it gives me that much more security I will install it. Sorry Justin I was just being sarcastic. As far as the pop ups with ZA, I never knew that they come like crazy just for the firstfew days until you configure it. I mean I installed it once like two years back on a friends pc and that's all I saw so I never installed it myself. I guess I will give it a shot...

What kind of attacks does ZA block??? (ie: the kind of bad things can it detour)

3. JustinHEMI05

JustinHEMI05 Private E-2

I just found that I would have a corrupted install sometimes if:
    a) I was connected to the net while installing
    b)I didn't clean out the prefetch folder first (to clear any old instances of ZA or any other firewall)
    c)I didn't completely disable windows security
    and
    d)Didn't clean the registry and file system of any traces of any other firewall or old ZA installs.

Those are the hoops I jump through to make sure it works perfect :) Then again I use security suite.

Justin

4. MZPRESTO

MZPRESTO Private First Class

Hi

I started with Bitlord, but it was a system resource hogger,

I tried bitcomet and it appeared exactly the same as Bitlord,

I tried Azeurus & to be honest couldn't even get it to install,

I tried Utorrent and LOVED it, nice interface, takes up hardly
    any of your system resources, easy to configure and thought I
    would be set for life with a this as a torrent client....

....but out of the blue, not sure if had anything to do with switching
    from lan to wireless but when I was downloading a torrent my internet
    would come to a standstill.

Even if I was downloading at 5k then I still wouldn't be able to browse
    and it would take google a few minutes to load that's if it loaded at all!!!

I tried everything!

Patched my TCP/IP connections
    Enabled/Disabled uPNP
    Enabled/Disabled torrent encryption
    Enabled/Disabled my Firewall
    Reduced/Increased Maximum number of Global Connections
    Reduced/Increased Upload rate and connections
    Forwarded the correct ports on my router
    Created a virtual server on my router
    Reset the router
    Unistalled/Re-installed
    Configured QOS to allow permanent allocation of bandwith to http
    3 different routers
    USB wifi dongle
    2 different wireless cards

Still to no avail!!

Yet as soon as I closed Utorrent my browser was lightning fast again, this
    never happened in the past with Utorrent and I must have used it continuasly for about 6 months.

I read a lot of stuff and Bit Tornado was recommended as you can throttle your upload speed so I tried it and hated the interface it was ugly, you couldn't have multiple sessions without opening the program again and although I noticed slightly quicker http it still didn't eliminate the problem.

As a last resort I tried BitSpirit and bingo! PERFECT can be downloading at my highest speed and browse the internet with no delay. I like the interface it doesn't come with a user manual though or a decent help guide and it does take up more system resources than Utorrent, but it works for me.

Just thought I'd post incase any1 else is in this situation and tearing their hair out!

Laters :D

5. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

I also use utorrent here

6. Vetta

Vetta Private E-2

Deleted. (double post)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  7. Vetta

Vetta Private E-2

I mostly use uTorrent, but also use BitComet, BitTorrent, Azureus (in different forms), Opera, BitTornado, BitLord and BitSpirit just for the experience, I guess, and there's much to be said for each of them.

Of the latter bunch, I'm actually a bit amazed at how well BitSpirit works; very good download speeds and very good upload speeds. :major

BitTorrent will sometimes fly like a bat and sometimes just hang there, upside down. rolleyes

8. Rudyard

Rudyard Private E-2

I have been using shareazza the p2p client for torrents but it is rather slow. Do different clients improve the download speed or is it more to do with how many are sharing the file?

And do different programs download of different people or is bittorent universal and it doesnt matter which client you use?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds