What is the best program to use to transfer data to a new PC

Discussion in 'Software' started by Thegame14, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Thegame14

Thegame14 Private E-2

The tornado gets good reviews. I want to transfer programs like itunes and all my songs and other programs from my old PC with XP to my new laptop Vista. Which is the best software/program to do this? Thanks

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Huh??? :confused

Got a flash drive? That's one way.

If you mean you want the programs installed in Vista, then you'll need to install them, not just "transfer" them. If you have programs on your old computer that you downloaded and you still have those installation files, you could, again, use a flash drive. If the programs are on CD, then just install them on Vista in the usual way.

3. Thegame14

Thegame14 Private E-2

I want to transfer from my old desktop which was on XP to my new laptop which has vista all my programs, itunes, microsoft office, computer games, etc.... What is the best way to do it? I dont really want to use a flash drive.

4. Thegame14

Thegame14 Private E-2

also my norton antivirus, I need to transfer that too

5. oma

oma MajorGeek

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You cannot transfer installed programs like Norton, iTunes, Microsoft Office, etc. You need to re-install them from the original CDs or from the installation program(s). You can transfer documents that were created Office (like Word documents, Excel sheets, Outlook emails, etc). You can also transfer your music files (look in 'My Music' and send 'em to a flash drive as suggested above) and pictures. You can also transfer your Favorites (or Bookmarks if using Firefox). How-to's can be found all over the web. iTunes is a free download so that's not a big deal, and it has an option to import your music library. Programs cannot be transfered because when they are installed, they create registry entries and DLL files (among many others) and this stuff is widely distributed through-out the system. Finding each and every registry key and all the related files for even one program, then moving them and copying them to the exact same locations on a new PC (never mind that you're going between 2 different versions of Windows) would be next to impossible. So, to sum it up: you must reinstall your programs and applications; you can transfer document-type files like MP3s and video files and Word documents.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds