What is the best programme for testing hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nickyboy, Aug 9, 2006.

1. nickyboy

nickyboy Private E-2

After a lot of hassle with cloning see earlier post cant boot to cloned drive, I have found that there is something wrong with one of my 200gig hard drives. What is the best programme to test the drive and maybe repair. I don't want to throw away if theres a chance I could repair the drive

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

What brand of drive is it? Maxtor provides diagnostic tools for their hard drives, but they are the only manufacturer I know of that does that. Other than PowerMax, the best utility I can think of is Windows' chkdsk!

3. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

SPinrite is supposed to be pretty good although its not free. I've never tried it though.

4. nickyboy

nickyboy Private E-2

Hi Mada yes it is a maxtor and I have found and downloaded Powermax Thanks for the info

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds