What is Windows Error Reporting?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jemcrystal, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Jemcrystal

Jemcrystal Private E-2

In the disk cleanup I see two squares: "System achieved Windows Error Reporting" and "System queued Windows Error Reporting." Arrrr, what does this mean? It sure gets filled up fast. It makes me wonder why. Does my PC have so much error? Will leaving them and not cleaning them up make Microsoft develop wonderous programs that aid my PC's running? Or are these things useless and I shouldn't worry about them, let Cleanup erase them with glee?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

What they are, are the times that your pc has crashed or a 3rd party application or driver has crashed, these are logged in Windows Error Reporting and if you want them too sent to Microsoft (no personal data is sent) and if they have a recomendation or fix you get to find out, never really worked on XP or below, nut does in Vista and Windows 7 the error reports when they hit a trigger point of many users sending in same issue, then a solution is sought be at internally or with the 3rd party developer of the app or driver.

On Vista this for me works and found a few fixes for various issues in the past, but you can clear them out if you wish from Disk Cleanup as they are not crucial

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds