What Is With Video Cards And MB Slot Spacing Heat Isses

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 20Valve, Sep 24, 2010.

1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

As per my previous post I purchased a new GTX 460 Superclock to replace my beleaguered GTS 8800GT. My guess is the proximity of the card below my 8800GT led to it's slow demise (as per my previous posts). My current board is an Asus M2V-MX SE sporting an AMD 5600X2.

So, I ordered a new GTX card. The thing is thick, like a Big Mac. It won't even fit where my 8800GT did. I had to remove the network that was directly below it and use onboard LAN to make room. Astonishingly, it hangs about .25" from the sound card which is two slots below. And of course, that leaves the fan like zero clearance. I have nowhere else to move the card.

I am in the process of monitoring the temp of the card, but my guess it ain't wise to keep it as is. I don't want to use onboard sound, that is for sure. I was maybe going to upgrade in the near future anyway, so I went shopping mobo combos. And it seems most motherboards are in a similar situation - the slots are way to close together. At least that is what I gleaned from the images of the boards I viewed, I don't have first hand experience with boards other than my own. I am surprised I have not read of this problem before, unless everyone is just cramming things in willy-nilly.

So, if I upgrade, what is a good board? I am looking at an AMD II X4 with 4 gigs of ram. I not necessarily brand loyal for mobos, but I prefer AMD processors. My projected budget is $350 or so, give or take a few.

So, what is the deal with all those tightly packed MB's and any good recommendations?

Thanks for any advice.

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

The problem is not the motherboards, it is the ATX standard that defines the distance and slot placement so that any cards placed in the slots on the motherboards will line up with the screw holes and slots on the back panel of the case, and so that the motherboard will fit in the case.

The ATX standard was launched in 1995/6 by Intel of all people, at a time when cards over 1 slot thick probably never existed. Thus to fit all the slots that may be needed or wanted by the designers within the ATX form factor does not leave a lot of room to miss out connector spots.

No recommendations at this stage from me, other than consider the new i3/5/7/9 core line of processors from Intel as they are the most future proofed devices right now.

3. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

So, I guess people just cram the video cards in there? I have 4 case fans; two sucking in air from the front and 2 blowing out the back. I also have a CPU fan, a video card fan, and a PSU fan (as do most). That is seven fans! I hope that can keep things cool!

I have no idea what to do if the card runs hot.

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I have an eVGA tri-SLI and had my GTX470 and installed my GTX260 right below it. Bad news man, Temp went up to 95C and fan was at %92 at full load, too hot for me so I moved the 260 down to the last slot and it's now 75C and %75 fan and much quieter too!

I was originally going to stuff three Fermis in here but I'd have to go to watercooling, with the waterblocks @ $165 CDN/ea plus all the supporting stuff, no way that's going to happen. So all in all, one could say that I wasted money on the mobo but then it would cost me some $700 min for watercooling three cards. No more upgrades with this i7 machine.

5. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

So far mine has been okay. I have not put the case cover back on yet, nor have I given it a heavy workout. If it gets hot, I will have to find a board with some space, as I have no where else to move the card.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds