What memory does my motherboard use?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nexus_, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I have an intel DQ67EP

Long story short, i bought the memory crucial website suggested which is pc3-14900

Well it does not work on this motherboard so i searched online to see what other websites bring up and different websites say pc3-10600 and others say pc3-8500, and another pc3-12800...

Can someone please let me know which memory chips are compatible with my board?

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

Hm, i actually had some memory posted on the website you noted eldon and i still get the beeps.

I get 3 beeps each 1 second apart and according to the intel bios beeps for this board it means its a memory issue.

However is it possible that the issue is the cpu? Because i noted this takes 2nd generation processors.

I am using a 3rd generation i7, and i do recall an intel agent stating that 3rd generation processors would work. I just don't know if they would work out of the box and it seems likely it needs a bios update to support a 3rd generation intel processor.

Well here is the thing for this... i don't have any other processor with an lga socket for this motherboard so i can update the bios, it seems unlikely i can update the bios WITHOUT a cpu inside?

5. the mekanic

In the BIOS release notes I posted the link for, multiple updates show added CPU support.

6. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I read through the link twice and its possible i may have missed something but no where does it say or is it specific on what cpu's the bios update provided.

All it says '' updated processor support'' which is vague

But it seems my processor probably never got a bios update because it shows it released in q1 2013. The only bios update close to or after my processor release is the one from march 13, 2014 and it mentions nothing about an update for ''processor support''

7. the mekanic

The main issue would be the Unicode in the BIOS itself. And every resource I referenced states 3rd generation i series CPUs are not compatible with this board.

It's kind of moot due to your CPU, but as far as the RAM is concerned, Crucial tested their modules with the board. Which brand/type modules did you purchase?

I can look tomorrow, but I don't think I have any old desktops with a second gen around.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds