What notebook should I buy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roddinron, Nov 29, 2005.

1. roddinron

roddinron Corporal

This is probably a lame post, but I've been trying to get my 59 yr. old brother to join the 21st century for some time now. He's single and rarely home, either at work or his girlfriends or visiting our recently widowered Dad. He just told me he wants to buy a notebook and showed me a Dell catalog pointing out a inspiron 1300 for $549. But now he's relying on me to guide him so I'm passing the buck on to you guy's since I'm really not up on notebooks at all. I think a notebook is a good idea for him, just not sure which one and I don't want to "spook" him with some high priced model with features he'll never use (I tend to go overboard). His hobby is photography and would like to get a good digital camera as well and do some photo editing. He's also learnig to play guitar, though I don't know how that relates.I think he should have wireless since he travels and will be traveling more when he retires, and a cd burner and dvd to possibly watch movies on the road. Game play is unimportant.
    Anyone have a better deal than the 1300 for not TOO much more money?
    Thanks for any help you can give since this is a big responsibility trying to buy for someone else, especially when you know very little about notebooks.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds