What On A Dell Latitude E6410 Can Be Upgraded?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CaMidltn, Dec 19, 2016.

1. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

I want to thank all those that helped me with my ransomware issue. Now that my laptop is running so much better, I would like to try and upgrade what is able to be upgraded.

I have tried searching throughout the internet to figure out what can be upgraded and what cannot. Only thing that shows up is the RAM Memory and hard drive.

I have 4 GB each (8 GB) on order and should be here sometime next week. And after I had to replace a screen due to children with Autism/Asp Berger's pushed me way over my limit (I shattered the inner screen) found a good used one, replaced it after watching the youtube videos for about 30 minutes and was very successful in doing so. Found out that the old screen was trying to go out anyway. It was having issues with brightening and dimming. Blessing in disguise, maybe?! Lol

Having searched everywhere and was not told anything specific, I decided to ask my new friends whom I have come to trust more than Wikipedia and yahoo search. Google search turned up about the upgrade to the memory and hard drive.

Can I upgrade my Intel Core i5-m540 @2.53 GHz? What about the Network Adapters? I currently have Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection and Intel Centrino Advanced-N6200 AGN.

2. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

As a matter of procedure I would visit crucial.com and get the scan. Crucial will diagnose your system and offer choices to purchase.
    Upgrading the drivers can be done with 10 bit free driver booster,

Hope it helps,
    s.
    s.

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Beyond the RAM, you could install an SSD (Solid State Drive). It's what I did on both my Latitude E6400 and my Inspiron 15-5555.

Unfortunately, you can't upgrade the processor or anything else. I wanted to replace my Intel T9550 Core 2 Duo processor with a T9900 and couldn't. It would have required a different System (Mother) board.

4. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

How would I install the SSD?

Will the network adapters be able to be upgraded?

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Note: The SSD may be thinner than the old HDD. You may need the spacer that is usually included or take extra care to make sure the SSD locks into the plug inside the laptop.

To what standard are you hoping to upgrade? The current adapters are plenty fast, even by current standards.

I have an Elitebook 2760P with similar specs. The SSD helped some but going from 4 to 12GB RAM really seemed to make the difference.

CaMidltn likes this.
  6. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

Do they even make RAM bigger than a 4 GB? This Latitude may not be able to handle the 12 GB. I just need something that will be able to handle what ever my college classes will throw at me. I know that they require us to have no less than 2.00 GHz. Anything less and it will bog down when uploading and downloading. Our homework site is called Blackboard and it works really good on this Latitude. But on my HP 15 it lags extremely bad off my home wifi, so I know it will be a huge problem with trying to use our school's wifi.

This is the reason why I was wondering if I can upgrade this laptop so I can use it at school. I ran the programs off of the "Read and Run" on my HP and it took 4.00 TB of crude off my computer. It is a 1.00 GHz processor. I think it is an AMD but not 100% sure. Anyway, I need something that is as fast as I am.

I have several classes that requires me to do a huge amount of typing and printing papers out for my classes. I just know that there is a way that I can upgrade without having to buy a complete new laptop. This laptop has that i5-m540 quad core and at 2.53 GHz it is fast but our school's instructors are faster somehow.

Is there a processor that is faster than the i7? I know that I have seen laptops with the Intel Core i7 with 2.66 or slightly higher GHz. I have always had problems with not having the right amount of processor that I should have. At least this one is within the spectrum of the school's requirements.

7. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

The Core i series vary enormously in their real world performance, to greatly improve on an i5 m540 in a current notebook, you'd need to look to an i5 or i7 CPU with the HQ or HK suffix, eg: i5-6440HQ or i7-6770HQ, benchmark comparison here.

They don't come cheap and no, currently the i7 is the best CPU in the mobile market (though there might be one or two rare examples that use a XEON or Desktop i7 CPU).

8. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

So we are talking about 4 or 5 hundred right?

9. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'd guess at $500+ for an HQ i5 series 6, $700+ for an i7 HK/HQ equipped notebook, look for one with a good quality 250GB SSD and 8GB+ of memory - there won't be too many fitted with these higher end CPUs, so filtering through your local options, or choice of online stores, shouldn't take very long.

Maybe do a few hours research now, and see what reductions the New Year brings before taking the plunge?

10. mdonah

Regardless, you won't be able to put the i7 in your Latitude E6410.

11. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

RAM - 8GB max, if you buy 2 sticks - $65.00
    SSD Hard drive 256 GB - $75.00
    New OS - $140.00
    Even without the new OS I'd buy a new laptop for a few more bucks maybe?

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Bottom line, you have a 6 year old laptop. The next thing to go will be the battery, if it hasn't already. I would not spend money for an ssd and a new OS followed by a battery on 6 year old hardware. What if the video chip dies? No display means you now have an expensive doorstop. Put that money towards a new laptop.

CaMidltn likes this.
  13. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

Ok, since I am unable to upgrade my processor in this Latitude, what would be the best laptop that would be comparable to this Latitudee6410. Does Dell still makes this model?

14. mdonah

No, Dell doesn't still make this model. You can check ebay or Amazon.com for this model with the specs you want and get one for a lot less than $500 maybe even with an SSD and 8 GB of RAM.

15. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

Thank you....I might wait until after Christmas...kids getting new computers parents want to get rid of the old ones and make money too. I might find a really great deal that way.

16. mdonah

Make sure the "kids" wipe the drives before getting rid of the computers. They don't want any of their personal information falling into the wrong hands. The new recipients can put their own OSes on them.

17. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

Oh no, I was meaning for me to buy from other people because of their kids getting new computers.......lol. Besides, I will have to wait until I get my taxes back

18. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

What will be the best laptop that is not a Mac that I can get for the money?

With a faster processor and Ram

19. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

So what is a good laptop to get other than a Mac?

20. mdonah

What price range do you want? I know you want an i7 processor and 8 GB of RAM and possibly an SSD.

21. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The last laptop I bought was in 2000!

I bought a netbook in 2011 (no optical drive) and another in 2013. Our main use is surfing the web so we don't need a high performance laptop to do that. As a result, I don't look at laptops. Also now that everything is Windows 10, which I don't intend to use, I haven't looked at laptops in quite a few years. I can't advise you what to get.

You also need to post what you intend to do on the laptop, other than surf. That helps others see if the programs you want to use will work with the hardware.

CaMidltn likes this.
  22. CaMidltn

CaMidltn Private E-2

Thank you...I will be using it mainly for my school work and need it to be fast for some of the class work is done through special websites designed by the school, which is where we do our homework. Requirements are at least a 2.00 GHz processor. But my 2.53 GHz lags sometimes in their websites. This is the reason on which I am needing something faster.

23. trag

trag Private E-2

Rather late to the conversation, but just so folks happening across this aren't misinformed...

Actually, you can upgrade the E6410 to an I7. Whether it is worth the bother and expense is another issue.

The E6410 is one of the few laptops which puts the CPU in a socket instead of soldering it down. Additionally, the only thing between the user and the CPU is the bottom panel and the heat sink. Remove the optical drive (1 screw), remove the hard drive (2 screws) and then loosen the big screw in the middle of the bottom panel and it slides off. Loosen the four heat sink screws, unplug the fan cable, and remove the heat sink assembly, and the CPU and socket are exposed.

The CPUs you could, in theory, install can be found here:

https://ark.intel.com/products/42694/Mobile-Intel-PM55-Express-Chipset
    and click on the "compatible products" link in the left sidebar.

If your current E6410 uses the video "card" built into the CPU (IGP) and does not have the discreet Nvidia NVS3100M graphics chip (this was a motherboard option, cannot be added later) then you are limited to the following CPU choices:

I7 choices that will work are the I7 620M and I7 640M. You could also get an I5 560M or 580M. All these upgrades will give you a slight speed boost (click on the CPU choices in the link above for individual specifications, or use Intel's "compare" function, check boxes next to CPUs, "compare" button in top-of-page white bar) and the I7 models give you an increase in the L2 cache size from 3MB to 4MB. These I7 choices are still 2 core CPUs.

If your E6410 does have the NVIDIA graphics on its motherboard, then you can also choose from the following I7s: 720QM, 740QM, 820QM and 840QM. However, these four CPUs are rated to produce 10 watts more heat than the E6410 is designed to dissipate. They can be used, but it's dicey. The primary advantage of these later CPUs is more cores, four vs. two, which may or may not be useful depending on what apps you run. All of these CPUs are available used on Ebay for about $30 except the 840QM which is still priced north of $70.

The 920XM and 940XM produce 20 watts more than the E6410 is designed to handle and should not be used.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds