What piece of equipment do I need?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MadMonkeyMojo, Feb 10, 2011.

1. MadMonkeyMojo

MadMonkeyMojo Private E-2

I have a home network with wireless for laptop and wifi devices and also a couple of desktop computers which are connected to the internet via cable to the wireless router.

I want to have an access point in another room where I can use an ethernet cable to occasionally connect another desktop to the internet. Is there a wifi receiver that you can connect ethernet cables to that will let me accomplish this?

2. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

Is using a USB wireless receiver on the desktop an option? It would be a much simpler solution.

3. MadMonkeyMojo

Would that work with different desktops and different versions of Windows? Is it just a plug-and-play type thing?

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Agreed with handygal: we recently added a couple of desktops to our home network, and in lieu of running cable, we fired up a couple of these Belkin adapters - they work flawlessly with Vista and W7, easy 5 minute installs, completely plug-and-play.

5. MadMonkeyMojo

Thank you both so much!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds