What product can replace Norton Utilities

Discussion in 'Software' started by snapper, Jun 3, 2006.

1. snapper

snapper Private First Class

Please can someone advise on what I can use to replace Norton Utilities? Bad time with Norton Antivirus, and when removing NAV - it also removed my Norton Utilities. This product is no longer available. I have searched as best I can for a comparative product. Can someone please suggest another freeware product? Thank you!

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Welcome to MG. :cool:
    What version of Norton Utlilities are you using?
    Do you have the original disks?
    You can install Norton Utilities without installing the Anti Virus option.

If you have the original disks then I suggest you reinstall NU.
    Use the Custom option (I think) and elect not to install NAV.

I haven't found a better program than Norton Speedisk, for example, in defragging a hard drive, and I've tried some others. Other utilities in NU are worthwhile, IMHO.

I'm gonna get some flak for suggesting this but I am a big boy (hence bigbazza).:D

Bazza

===

3. snapper

Dear Big Baaza:
    You are kind, thank you for your reply. I am brandy new on this site, and probably do not know what I am doing. Thus I hope you receive this reply.

RE: disks - I have none. The Norton Utilities 4.0 came with purchased refurbished system. I have windows 98 with minimal ram. NAV was too large and very not nice. After a bad NAV install, the tech folks at symantics told me to remove. When I did, it took a lot with it, including Norton Utilities. At moment, I am just trying to get the system back to what it was before NAV came on. They told me that norton utilites was part of package. I later learned I had to purchase a larger program that 'includes' a form of the old utilites system.

Prior to the bad recommendation of NAV, I ran spy sweeper, spy bot, internet sweeper, and Norton Utilities. I was doing fine. It was a techie from my interent carrier that suggested I suscribe for NAV. Since then, all my aforementioned controls are gone. I am just trying to get my system fairly operational in my running cleaning 'agent's after each session. This is why I liked norton utilities.

In searching for a compatible product, I am looking for what the utilities performed. I download BigFix from (major geeks) but it does not seem to be this. Just monitoring the system. Also, I have searched all Symantic/Norton sites, for something other than purchasing their large suites, with no real remedy. Honestly, Baaza, after the difficulty I have had with Symantics, I am not sure I want anything of theirs.

I am not certain if I have replied to your questions. Regarding to your referral, I did not see this on a trial application. Please advise. And.. I do thank you for your time. (On ya:))

best,
    snapper

4. bigbazza

What utilities are you after, that you had in Norton's?

Can I suggest a visit to Major Geeks must have FREE downloads page

http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20

Lots of stuff there but with W98 and minimal RAM you could be stretching things.

Might be best to start with EVEREST to see what is installed on your PC before proceeding further.

Everest Home Edition. www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    When you run EVEREST, Click on "Computer" icon, then on "Summary", then on "Report" (at top menu), then on "Quick Report Summary", down to "Plain text". Save it to a file, as whatever name you like, (maybe PCddmmyy--with ddmmyy being the current date). Then it can be posted for all to see.
    PS: Scroll down the report and delete all the stuff starting with Offset, to reduce the size of the report before saving it. Bazza

5. snapper

Hey Baaza: Thanks again. Before I answer your question, please advise if I am not replying correctly on this site. Never used a site such as this before.

With Norton I was able to: a) perform windows scan, b) hard drive scan c) optimize disk, d) norton disk doctor. In the windows scan, it would report files or short cuts deleted which causes conflicts and crashes. Basically I kept my system clean after all sessions, or minor changes. It also gave me specific system information.

To answer your question earlier (sorry) the NAV2005 instal cd did not offer an option for the utilities. A good search on their website explained that this was only available in a new package (aka suite).

With Everest I shall try. I have searched the majorgeek site thoroughly for something compatible. Nothing thus far. As stated I downloaded BigFix - but it does not appear to be what I want. As far as the what is on my system, I have been a 'type a', on deleting or uninstalling anything before I have downloaded something new.

Thank you again for your time. By the way I am in the Northeast US. How are things in OZ? Been there and loved it.
    appreciate you suggestions - will try.
    snapper

6. Robert

Robert Sergeant

There is plenty of freeware out there to use in lieu of Norton System Works.
    When I used W98 on a much less able computer (PIII - 128Mg RAM) this all worked to keep me safe and the puter in good order.
    Avast AV program - but keep it up to date
    Kerio personal firewall - free then and a free version may still be out there if you google for it
    SpyBot
    AdAware
    Diskeeper Lite for Defragging - the W98 version is not as good as it could be
    Crapcleaner - latest version still works in W98 AFAIK

HTH
    Robert

7. snapper

Hi Robert:
    Good advise, thank you!:) I am on it. I just re-downloaded Spybot, and will follow with your suggestions. Thanks again for your time, and help!!
    kindly,
    snapper

8. bigbazza

Sixth day of winter here in Cairns, bit warmer overnight than previous night.
    Temperature at 5am today was a cool 20 degrees Celsius, or 68 degrees Fahrenheit.:cool:

Getting colder, for us.:D

Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds