What RAM chips can I use?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by edweather, Nov 19, 2012.

1. edweather

edweather Private First Class

I'm breathing some life into an old computer we have. It's a no name brand put together by a local computer store no longer in business. I took off the cover and saw 1 Samsumg 128mb chip w/ 2 empty slots next to it. The number on the chip is M368L1713CT1-CBO. Is it possible to increase the memory to something like 4gb? What are my options? Thanks. Ed.

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Chances are with there only being 1-128MB chip in there that it's not gong to be able to do 4GB of RAM. Is there an operating system on the machine? If so you can DL Everest

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Install it on the computer, run it and it will tell you what MB is in the computer and a lot more info.

3. edweather

Here's a description of the chip

Description = M368L1713CTL 16Mx64 DDR Sdram 184pin Dimm Based on 16Mx8 ;; Density(MB) = 128 ;; Organization = 16Mx64 ;; Bank/ Interface = 4B/SSTL2 ;; Refresh = 4K/64ms ;; Speed = A0,A2,B0 ;; #of Pin = 184 ;; Power = C,l ;; Component Composition = (16Mx8)x8 ;; Production Status = Eol ;; Comments = -

Hopefully this helps. Thanks. Ed

Puppywunder58, Thanks. BTW it's Windows 98. What do you mean when you say, "what MB is on the computer?" Could I possibly find, let's say, 3 256's or 3 512's?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  4. Puppywunder58

You need to know what MB=Motherboard you have in the computer before you can find out what type of RAM you can use and how much RAM the Motherboard can accept.

5. Puppywunder58

6. edweather

OK, thanks. Unfortunately the machine is not on line yet. I just installed the ethernet card, and hopefully I installed the driver correctly. I plan on connecting it to the router tomorrow to see what happens. It's been years since this thing has been "connected."

I got some info from the start-up page. It said Award Modular Bios v6.00PG, an Energy Star Ally, Award Software, Inc.

If I can get on line tomorrow I'll try one of the downloads. Thanks. Ed.

7. Puppywunder58

You can download the utilities I've mentioned to the computer you are currently using to post with and then use some form of media, CD, flash stick etc. to install the programs.

It sounds like this computer you're trying to upgrade is too old and not worth the time or money to improve.

8. edweather

OK, thanks. I downloaded the utility and put it on a cd and ran it.

The motherboard is a VT8366-8233.

Yes I realize this might be a futile effort, but I've only spent $6 so far, and it might be a good first computer for our 5 year old. It's also fun to mess with.

9. edweather

I did a little research on the motherboard, and it looks like it can take up to 4GB of RAM. The only strange thing is that the spec's on the motherboard say it's supposed to have 4 memory slots, but I only see 3. It that uncommon? Maybe it's an old version? Anyway, I'm thinking of removing the 128GB stick and installing two 1GB (1GB PC2100DDR 184 pin 266Mhz desktop memory) sticks. How does that sound? Thanks. Ed.

10. edweather

I found the manual online for the motherboard and it confirms the 3 memory slots (I also re-looked inside and it's definitely 3) and says,

"Main Memory
    • 3 x 184-pin DDR DIMM slots.
    • Supports up to 3GB of DDR266 SDRAM (PC2100/PC1600).
    • Supports 2.5v DDR266 SDRAM."

Thanks. Ed.

11. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

I just remembered that Win98 is not always fond of computers with lots of RAM. I think it has less problem running with higher RAM but installing with high RAM can still be a problem.

Maybe, a fellow win98 user can comment? I'll just drop a random link so you can at least apprise yourself of the situation should you run into problems later. Or you may want to google Win98 maximum RAM

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/333688.html
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1133805

12. edweather

sach2, Thanks. Those links are helpful. Looks like I can use three 256's w/the MS workaround and be golden.

13. edweather

Added 512mb to the 128mb, and used the MS workaround editing the system.ini file. Computer works really well. Will probably experiment with a little more ram at some point. Thanks again for the suggestions. Ed.

14. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Thanks for the follow through. I had just recently did a quick install of Win98 for testing and had trouble because of the memory issue. I'm glad the information was helpful.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds