What software should i cary if i intend to fix computers.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Red SKull, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Red SKull

Red SKull Private E-2

I would like to start to learn to get deep in to fixing computers and work on the side doing it what are some good manuals to have and what is some good software to cary.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Let me apologize in advance for any overlapping information!

I would recommend that you use CCleaner as an all-purpose maintenance program. It will quickly and thoroughly clean temp files, manage start-up programs, and clean the registry.

Windows Defender is an excellent real-time anti-spyware app.

Ad-Aware would be my first choice in on-demand backup spyware scanning.

Spybot Search & Destroy would complete the trifecta.

For antivirus, I've always loved AVG this is great for real-time protection, and I use online scans for on-demand backup scanning.

Zone Alarm is a great firewall. This will help keep spyware from sending information out on the internet as well as keep malware from replicating across a network.

I would recommend that you follow these instructions to tweak a computer for performance.

www.sysinternals.com has TONS of freeware applications for the system administrator. I particularly like FileMon as it will show every file opened by the running processes on a machine.

Troubleshooting application failures is MUCH MUCH easier when you use Dependency Walker. This app will profile an exe, dll and many other filetypes, and show you EVERY other dll, exe, etc that it is calling, and what functions are expected to be found there. (The application generally fails when there is trouble, and this will show you where, and exactly what you fix/replace)

I would also recommend www.eventid.net, as this site covers just about every event id you could find in the windows event logs. This has helped me immensely in the administration of our servers.

Also, Mozilla Firefox is a fantastic alternative browser for anyone still using IE6. It is much more secure AND functional! I haven't used IE7 long enough to comment on how secure it is, but I would wager that Firefox still tops it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  3. Red SKull

Red SKull Private E-2

AVG free or pay

Is AVG free okay or should i pay for the full version. And have you ever heard of computer associates virus software.

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

AVG Free is as reliable as Pro, only less functional. This is more than acceptable for the average home user.

Yes, I have heard of CA's AV program, E-Z Trust. I've never used it myself, but I have heard alot of good about it from people who's opinions I trust.

5. Red SKull

Red SKull Private E-2

Annoymous loggon when i used the event view scan what is an annoymous loggon.

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You'll have to provide more information. An anonymous logon usually refers to an FTP site when a person logs on using the default account that has no username and no password. A more secure site will require a person enter their email address at least.

7. Red SKull

Red SKull Private E-2

Durring an event scan of my computer i am seeing an event.
    06/25/2006 12:46:56 540 Successful Network Logon Success audit Critical Security ANONYMOUS LOGON
    Is this bad and what should i do.

8. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I'm not familiar with the software you are using, so here is what I would do:

1. Open the computer management console (if you're getting into fixing computers, this is your BEST FRIEND)
    - Right-click My Computer
    - Select 'Manage'
    2. Expand 'Event Viewer'. Here, you will find the Application, Security, and System logs, or more, depending on your system. Search these for a matching event ID. (Probably in the security log)
    3. Take the event id to www.eventid.net. You'll find posts by professionals who have experienced the same problem and resolved it. You'll also find links to Microsoft's Knowledge Base articles.

9. gigabyte

gigabyte Private E-2

running win 2000 on a old computer i got. and when i go to open computer console and click on system summary i get this. cannot access the windows managment insturment software. Windows management files maybe moved or missing. what do i do? Thanks

10. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

First step would be to create your own thread to attract the right people to the right problem. (Someone who might have a solution for your problem might not ever look in this thread)

11. gigabyte

gigabyte Private E-2

sorry im a newbe

12. Red SKull

Red SKull Private E-2

Dependency Walker

I have just got dependeency walker what is so great about the software.

13. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Also keep this link handy, or download the programs onto a USB memory stick, and keep them up to date when updates are released.

Must have free (MG) downloads http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?id=20

Bazza

14. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Re: Dependency Walker

Dependency walker is fantastic for troubleshooting application failures. If the app starts generating Events in the log, or popping up with dll errors, Dependency walker will profile the dll in question and show you exactly where the program is going wrong. After that, its usually as simple as replacing a old/corrupted file to get your app working smoothly again.

15. bigbazza

Link to Dependency Walker for anyone interested.
    http://www.dependencywalker.com/depends21_x86.zip
    Bazza

===

16. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

17. Tourangh

Tourangh Master Sergeant

Didnt see Hijack this

18. padams

padams First Sergeant

I carry ultimate boot cd, and mhdd. they're pretty good utilities to carry.

19. keoghan

keoghan Private E-2

Something also to consider is a remote access program like logmein, radmin or tightvnc. You can access one computer from another, conceivably from halfway round the world. Maybe not necessarily for fixing the computer but for post-fix maintenance or something. At work (tech support firm) we use logmein Rescue but that's a paid service so you probably wouldn't be interested I'm guessing.

20. bigbazza

:eek: :eek: M_M, I missed it in your reply #2.
    (on page 1 and I didn't go back that far, that's my excuse). :eek: Bazza

===

21. Arch_Angelus666

Arch_Angelus666 Private E-2

i have a question for Mada_Milty, if you used all of those programs on one computer wouldn't they conflict with eachother, and still let virius and other harmful programs into your system? that's what happened with the family computer when my dad had all of this virius protection on it at once, we got rid of most of it, but it still did a lot of damage

22. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Have to agree UBCD avail here, it has pre-OS; mem checks, AV (several), HDD analysis/reformat, DOS, Recovery Console, etc etc.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds