What the beep?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by beck_bail, Mar 15, 2006.

1. beck_bail

beck_bail Private E-2

Hey,

I'm more curious what happened here. I've already fixed the problem, but still I'd like to know what it was.

I was installing a DVD drive the other day. My current CD drive didn't have a master/slave cable on it, so I switched it with the cable that my hard drive was using. Once everything was hooked up, I powered up the PC and started getting an odd beeping sound from the mother board. It would buzz for a second, than stop for a second, then buzz for a second etc.. No signal was ever sent to the monitor when this happened. I pulled stuff off the mother board one by one to see if one of them was causing the beep (video card, modem, drives, everything). Finally I just had the mother board cpu and power supply hooked up. Still got the beeping. I then (kind of frustrated now) hooked everything back up the way it was originally, and it worked. I added the DVD player, and that worked too.

What the beep was that beeping buzzing sound? Why did it go away, what might I have done wrong??????

Thanks, :confused:
    - Beck

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Beep codes indicate hardware (usually video) problems with your system. The specifc series of beeps communicates the exact issue. To know what it means, you'd have to know the BIOS make, model and version. This info can usually be found using a system info utility like SANDRA or Everest

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds