What to do before selling a used pc

Discussion in 'Software' started by beluce, Aug 13, 2012.

1. beluce

beluce Private E-2

Good afternoon Major Geeks! I have a used HP 311 with Windows 7 installed on it. I will be giving it away soon and I would like to get the personal information off of it. I used a Windows 7 installation link and therefore have no recovery disks. Thanks for your help!

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

I'm sure you will get a lot more advice here; let me just start with some items:
    • download & install CCleaner, if you do not already have it
    • run CCleaner* with every option checked (not the registry cleaner)
    • uninstall any program that the recipient may not want
    • delete all your mail (inbox, sent items, deleted items, ...)
    • delete everything in Your Documents, Your Pictures, etc.
    *) if you already had CCleaner installed, make sure you remove all the 'Cookies to keep' from Options | Cookies.

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I have a bit to add to this as there are 2 possible ways to go.

1:
    Get IOBit Uninstaller and batch uninstall anything you installed to try and make it look like a clean Windows install: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Iobit_Uninstaller_d6427.html
    Be sure to uninstall any email programs or anything you use a password with.

Then use CCleaner and be sure to use secure delete under option to make sure the data can't be recovered. See screenshot.

2: (and my personal favorite)
    Reinstall Windows 7 (deleting the current partition and recreate a new one wiping all old data) and do Windows Update. Take you about 2 hours but that makes sure you deliver a clean, fast computer with your data all overwritten.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds