What Varios Freeware alternatives can rival Mcafee and Norton Internet Security 2010?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Equaliser, May 10, 2010.

1. Equaliser

Equaliser Private E-2

Hello all at MajorGeeks Forum.

After A pretty heated discussion with some work colleagues. I would like to ask A some questions regarding Freeware Security applications. And can they really rival the likes of Mcafee, Kaspersky, Norton Internet Security and other well known market leading PC security applications. I understand this argument has been going on for quite some time. But I would like to know what the MajorGeeks Forum have to say on this subject.

I would also like to ask what freeware Security applications can be downloaded and installed and are A safe and rivaled alternative to the likes of Mcafee, Kaspersky and Norton internet Security 2010. These products obviously have Firewall, Anti Virus. Rootkit removal. Safe browsing features. Password and log in encryption features. For safe web site password remembrance and log in tools. etc etc.
    For example. I know ZoneAlarm Firewall and Avast Antivirus are good. But what others are good ?.
    What would be the best Various freeware Security applications to download and install on windows 7. To give the same security as Norton Internet Security 2010.
    Is it possible to to have rivaled Security on A Windows 7 system using openly available freeware security applications.
    I know I have asked A few questions in this post. But I know there are A lot of people out there that have asked the same questions. and are looking for A definitive answer.
    Or do we have to pay for the best Security for our precious PC.
    This is something that has troubled me for A while. The more I read up on the above the more unsure I am. Is it possible to be safe using freeware security features and what ones should I use if I decide to go with freeware security apps!

I look forward to any replies and input to this post.

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Re: What Varios Freeware alternatives can rival Mcafee and Norton Internet Security 2

Check out Must have Free downloads at
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20

Look at the headings, and the programs listed under each heading
    -Scan & protect my computer for Malware - Malicious software (Pick at least two):
    -Protect my computer from viruses : (Pick only one)
    -Remove specific or stubborn malware: (Pick at least two)
    -Check for Rootkits: (Pick at least one)

Click on the programs, one by one, and then check the Ratings score, out of 5, on the right hand side of the program/s you have chosen.
    This is the MG members review, and maybe should be taken into consideration.

You may have to use more than one program to encompass all the aspects you are trying to cover, but they are FREE and the ratings will then you what MG members think of them.

List your proposed selections in this thread and ask MG members about the worth of your selections.

Hope this helps.

Bazza

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Re: What Varios Freeware alternatives can rival Mcafee and Norton Internet Security 2

Only if you feel like wasting money.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds