What was the biggest/most involved prgm/software u ever worked on?

Discussion in 'Software' started by adamlange, Nov 1, 2004.

1. adamlange

adamlange Private E-2

this can be for your job or just a personal project

2. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

Hmm... thats a good question. Probably either:

1. When I was like 11 I wanted a computer so bad I made several of those books where you read the options and then it tells you what page to go to depending on what option you choose. So basically that was my "program" although it was with paper lmao :p (remember I was in like 4th grade at the time). Well when I got MY (not my families) first computer the following year, i decided I would learn how to make real computer programs. I went to a community computer class with like my dad and about 10 other like 50 year old guys lol (seems I was the only one at my age or anywhere near that age to want to build computers). Well in the process of learning how to build computers the instructor showed us some basic msdos commands. He also handed out a disk which had this basic batch file on it that would show a menu to select which joke you wanted to see and you would enter a number and it would bring you to that joke. I thought this was amazing so i immediately got home, took out the disk and looked at how this person had made this batch file lol. Well after about a week of looking at this batch stuff I decided I wanted to put my old paper program stuff onto a real computer and make it come alive. Well this wasn't easy because the books were about 50 pages each. So converting those took me about 5 or 6 months, can't really remember.

2. The other thing that took me a while to make was my first website which a real host. My cousin had lent me his space so I had to learn how to use ftp stuff for the first time. it was a great learning experience because i learned how to actually make a real website from scratch using pure html, none of that geocities or tripod shit. and since i decided to make it from scratch, it took about 2 or 3 months.

im curious to see what others have to say now lol

3. animatorStrike

animatorStrike <a href="http://www.acrodata.com/fun/waaa.jpg">Rid

Hard to say which one, cause they're not really that big. It would have to be like my first programs because that was an accomplishment for me. Me/my dad are the only people in my whole family who are good when it comes to computers or tech lol. Anyway, my first QuickBASIC programs were big for me since my C compilers hated me. I don't know if HTML would be considered programming, but my website is pretty big. I maintain it almost every day. Plus I'm learning JavaScript, so that would be programming. My goal is to make a game by myself. I'm decent with 3D programs (i.e. Maya, A:M) and I'm getting better with programming. Practice will only get my programming skills improved...;)

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

The website I'm developing now.

Its very involved, includes a lot of actionscript, php, mysql, xml amongst other things. When its done, it'll blast the competitors out the water. If we do it well, we might even get an award for it ;)

5. adamlange

adamlange Private E-2

goldfish: do u have a beta version?

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Even if I did I wouldn't be able to show you :p ;)

I might release the page editor to the public, but it depends on how practical it is. I don't think it would be much use to most people.

7. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

BIggest one I am working on is a software our company made that is being sold to municipalities. Its written in VB6 and keeps track of false alarms, does billing printing invoices etc and lots of other stuff. The exe is a couple thousand lines of code weighing in at about a meg.

The biggest I have created myself is a ASP web program that is a online job database, with admininistration capabilities. It has been sold to 3 different companies. I created it from scratch as my first ever ASP code.
    I have also created a program for a skatepark that tracks customers info, times theyve gone to skatepark etc and also takes pictures through a digi camera using twain drivers and stores the pictures. That was the first program I ever wrote for a business and was my first actually big project.

And countless other things not quite as big.

8. NightStalk3r

NightStalk3r Private E-2

Inventory system for my college, all web based and in JSP

9. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Niiice. That sounds like fun :D

10. Freddy

Freddy Sergeant

HR/payroll application on IBM s/370 mf integrated with Unix client/server environ. 80+ clients, 1,000+ users, moving more than $100B annually.

11. QuickSilver

QuickSilver Corporal

that using CICS at all?

12. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

wait wiat wait, after looking through some of my crpa, i found something. about two years ago i had written a dependent kinda os which ran with dos, and it was entirely made from batch files. it only said "Hello world" but it was awesome. i mean it wasnt a true operating system because it depended on ms-dos to get it loaded correctly but it was awesome by my standards. and i had put it on an old 486 just in case i did something :) :p the program was called OS-DES lol.

13. animatorStrike

animatorStrike <a href="http://www.acrodata.com/fun/waaa.jpg">Rid

Ha! That sounds so cool. ;)

14. QuickSilver

QuickSilver Corporal

At Uni we got some pretty fun assignments... yea some not so fun ones, but some pretty fun ones too...
    One time we had to write a Breakout style game in C. That was great fun although with hindsight I could do it a bit better... mine was based completely on evolving more and more features of the spec into it. So I started off with the ball... then making the ball move... then making the ball bounce properly... then creating the bricks, and makign the bricks disappear when they get hit... the paddle... the scoring... etc etc... A really really fun program to write...
    Ahhhh them were the days :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds