what would be the best fan based cpu cooler for a highly overclock system?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qx_nerdtronic, Aug 8, 2003.

1. qx_nerdtronic

qx_nerdtronic Private E-2

would this be a good choice?:
    mcx462plus
    it looks cool.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2003
  2. SwatShark

SwatShark Captain Cuffs

Well, it looks neat. I don't like aluminum for a heatsink. Copper is much more effecient. Try the SLK800 from Thermalright, if you're using an AMD.

3. Cashy

Cashy Private First Class

check my sig dude, you can't go wrong with this baby :)
    @ swatshark, FYI, copper is better at removing heat, and aluminum is better at getting rid of heat.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2003
  4. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

doesn't matter, Swiftech's MCX462+ is a good cooler.
    personally prefer ThermalRight's SLK900U with a 92mm fan though I'm only running it with a Papst 80mm...

5. qx_nerdtronic

just need to know the best cooler for a heavily overclocked system. i'm planning on getting one of the older barton processors and overclocking it. i am hoping to exceed the performance of 3200+. just want to make sure it stays cool. if i can't find something to suitthis, i'll use this water cooler:
    it's right here

6. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

get a T'Bred B, they clock better than Bartons.

7. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

slk800 or slk900
    with
    Tt Smartfan II
    or
    Tornado

Carry on

8. fleppen

fleppen Gumshoe

or Papst fans, Papst = quality, high cfms, low dbA

9. qx_nerdtronic

i'm probably gonna get a 2800+ and maybe one of those thermoelectric/fan coolers. i just wan't to stay away from water as much as possible. the one i saw was a peltier plate, with a heatsink and a fan. you can run the fan really low, and the cpu still stays cool. and i'm gonna replace whatever fan they have on it with some really quiet fan.

10. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

um, you have to be extremely careful with a pelt, though. Assuming you get a 156 watt pelt, you're gonna have to find a way to cool off 230+ watts. THe only real way to really cool that is to use water, so that's out of the question. Also, at startup, you're bound to get low temps, causing condensation, which means more water.

I recommend just an slk900u with a powerful fan (pref 92mm for quietness)

11. thetman

thetman Private E-2

I have to agree with exeter_acres. A SLK-800 and a Tornado will certainly get the job done, though you might want a fan bus to quiet the Tornado when you don't need it.

12. qx_nerdtronic

i guess i will be getting a 2700+ not a 2800+, because the 2800 is a brtn. but thanks. if in the end air doesn't cut it, i'll get a swiftech water cooler from coolbreez.com. or somewhere else if cheaper. any good recommendations as to where to buy stuff from?

13. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds