whats a good cpu program

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by volumeone0686, Dec 8, 2006.

1. volumeone0686

volumeone0686 Corporal

im overclocked to 2.66 ghz so basically 5.2 cuz its a duo and i have speed telling me im at 45 and i have coretemp telling me im at 59 can someone tell me whats the best program to see ur temps?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

BIOS is most reliable. Alot of geeks like Speedfan, though.

Also, your CPU isn't running at 5.2GHz. The separate cores can't be combined into a single logical CPU.... yet.

3. Sailor

Sailor First Sergeant

I am sutisfied with speedfan, it's handy but does speedfan support dual core?

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

That's not what the salesman said, or how it is advertised LOL. :confused: :mad: :p :( Bazza

===

5. leoleotheiii

leoleotheiii Private First Class

ghz is a frequency, hz meaning meaning cycels per second and g meaning giga or 10^6. i agree with Mada, dual core dosnt mean it runs twice as fast. I hate it when people say dual core computers run twice as fast = =

6. volumeone0686

volumeone0686 Corporal

lol they do run twice as fast bro u have 2 gpus at 2.5 x2 they re at 5.a dual core chip can only use a single core until its overloaded then the 2nd one kicks in. it doesnt make sense cuz a duo 2.13 basically a e 6400 is more than the 2.2 ghz 3500 amd athlon 64

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

"Until it is overloaded" is the key here. Nothing happens until then.

You are using a lower ghz cpu until then.

As I mentioned before in other posts, current software does not fully utilise duo CPU's.

I am willing to be corrected and convinced otherwise, but my experience and actual ownership of a duo core (not duo 2 core) laptop over the last 9 months has been a disappointment as far as performance (or what I expected / hoped I'd get).

Remember a little bit of experience beats the hell out of a lot of theory.
    Bazza
    ===

8. volumeone0686

volumeone0686 Corporal

then y r they so much more than a 3500?a 4000? or even a 4600x2? these r the fastest chips in the market right now.

9. ducati

ducati Private E-2

They may be very fast chips, but i have to agree with everyone on this one, you can not simply multiply it because of the dual core, in theory it sounds fantastic, but that is not how it is set up to run

10. abri

abri MajorGeek

yeah, it's still missing the corpus callosum :D
    lol
    abri

11. Baselerd

Baselerd Private First Class

The separate cores do and will not add up. They can simultaneously operate on separate threads, so that you can run multiple programs more easily at the same time. Some programs are optimized for dual core, meaning the program itself is split into multiple threads so that the computations are divided amongst the cores. And they do provide a big performance increase from my experience, coming from and Athlon64 3200+ to an Athlon64 X2 4200+ (that also is a clock increase of .2 GHz however)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds