Whats a good replacement for ZA...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Outlawstar15a2, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Outlawstar15a2

Outlawstar15a2 Corporal

Whats a good replacement for ZoneAlarm because I can't install any further updates for it till I upgrade to Vista Service Pack 1 and I have no intention to do so because the last time I had SP1 installed not only did it cause a serious memory leak everytime Firefox was running on the system, but I couldn't uninstall it hence I had to re install Vista. So unless somebody can think of a better alternative I need to find a firewall that doesn use SP1.....

2. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I like PCTools, it's quite like ZA in function in that it takes some training but is invisible after that except for updates to your AV for example. Also is quite configurable.

Surprised at SP1 issues but I've had issues with FF memory in XP too. I'm SPless ATM as I just installed Vista and FF is using 185MB for 14 tabs which is not as bad when it went up to some 400MB and I had to kill it in XP.

4. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

Actually, Windows Firewall is good enough with a router between your computer and the 'net, but some here would like to see you with a "good" software firewall so my vote will also be with PCTools. Comodo Internet Security is also highly ranked.

Hope that helps!

5. Aimee Wilbury

Aimee Wilbury Staff Sergeant

A good router & Windows Firewall.

6. Outlawstar15a2

Outlawstar15a2 Corporal

It was back in December of 08. I had installed Vista SP1 and then I installed Firefox 2.0.0.20. The memory leak problems started so I figured Install Firefox 3. I didn't want to but I did it anyway. Problem persisted even after it updated to the then latest version. So I figured maybe it was malware, as a few days ago I had to reinstall Vista because of malware (a exceedingly rare event thank god.) again the PC was clean as a whistle. I did everything I could think of finally I had to reinstall Vista to get rid of the SP and problem solved. So I don't know why Firefox would share the cake with SP1 I always SP1 was a nice fellow. LOOOL. I wish I had a way of testing out SP1 on my sys now without having it stuck on it and having to reinstall to get it off, but thats microsoft for you.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Could try Windows Virtual PC 2007 to install and update to SP1 then test Firefox out or even try the beta of next generation Firefox in Minefield out, the builds to Minefield are here (second from bottom is one you need) as I'm running this in Vista SP1 x64 with no issues.

Only downside of the Windows firewall is it has no outbound filtering for highlighting a new app wanting connection, running a software firewall is advisable if you dont safe surf or are prone to malware infections, for incoming router with NAT, SPI and the Windows FW is fine.

I suggest PCTools over ZA these days but personally I dont run a software FW as I know whats using my i-network.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds