whats a torrent

Discussion in 'Software' started by eagerinsight, Sep 21, 2005.

1. eagerinsight

eagerinsight Private E-2

I been to this website and there are torrents of new episodes of family guy, what's a torrent?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

A torrent is a file used for tracking a download. Essentially you get a bittorrent client, get a torrent for a file, and use it to download the media from hosts.

Ugh, I've articulated this poorly. Hope it helps. I'm sure someone will come along and give you a better understanding.

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

it's what happens when you get married..

oh wait.. tha't torment. oh never mind :)

4. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Kodo, I sympathize and understand! A torrent in the context that you asked would be a piece of the program, but not the whole. Some of the newer file sharing programs use this approach. Each program is broken into pieces ( torrents ) that can be downloaded from individual computers, and any one computer wouldn't have to contain the whole file for downloading purposes to make the file available on the internet to download as it would search for different torrents (pieces) of the file and download others from different computers. To make it short and sweet, it is the way that file sharing programs choose to break the files into bits to be shared with others! Hope this helped!

5. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Brian's Bittorrent FAQ (source of quote): http://btfaq.com/serve/cache/1.html
    The Official Bittorrent FAQ (more oriented toward practical use): http://www.bittorrent.com/FAQ.html
    The torrent file itself is a set of instructions for a Bittorrent client to download a particular file, and a file hash to check the downloaded file's integrity. It is not the file itself or a piece thereof.
    BTW, downloading copyrighted material like The Family Guy can get you into hot water, legally speaking.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds