1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's Everyone Reading?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Spock96, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Hey Fellow Geeks,
    I'm just bored as of now and was wondering what everyone was reading and if there's anything work picking up?
    I just finished The Planet Pirates by, Anne McCaffrey, Elisabeth Moon, and Jody Lynn Nye. Very well written books great story and just a great read :). During my reading of the planet pirates I picked up A Child Called It by, Dave Pelzer. Now this book is just...Well I don't really know to describe it. I guess it's one of those "read for yourself" kind of thing. Very good Book as well. And currently I'm reading Spirit Gate(book 1 of the Crossroads Series) by, Katie Elliott. I'm hardly into the book at all so I can't say if it's good or not.
  2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I have liked Anne McAffrey for a long time, like 40 years or so!:-D I'm going to check it out man! I just love the Pern series! Pick up John Varley, his short story 'Persistance of Vision', just blew me away at least! I'm not into recent sci-fi/fantasy yet, I'm in Harry Potter mode ATM.:-d
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I read Anne McCaffrey's Dragons of Pern series, but have never heard of that one.

I just finished Roboapocolypse by Daniel Wilson. An easy read, but I have to say it was very enjoyable.

My next read is probably going to be "A Game of Thrones"
  4. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

5. Spock96

@augie--I'll look into it :).
  6. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I am currently reading TC Southwells books about the Queen's Blade. Because i just can't resist sociopathic killers with flair and style. :)

Also working my way through Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, one by one.
  7. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

I read that. It was one of the saddest books I think that I ever read but since you have that one, you should totally read The Lost Boy and A Named Dave both very good.

I haven't read anything new lately, I haven't been able to get to a bookstore or library, so I've been reading some of my old books. Namely, Robert Ludlum's Covert-One series, I could (and have) read these books over again with out getting bored of them. I just wish they could come out with new books in this series but it's kinda hard when the author is dead. :-D

I've been wanting something new to read for a while, I might just have to save up a few bucks and either head to the bookstore or finally pay the library what I owe LOL
  8. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I just finished Naked Brunch by Sparkle Hayter. Unfortunately, I have to give it a yawn. It really wanted to be an amusing look at werewolves in the style of Christopher Moore, but it failed. Ah well, better luck with the next one. :)
  9. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

This is better. I just finished Impact by Douglas Preston. It was a very quick read, but it was really hard to put down. Not necessarily a believable premise, yet there were enough things that just could be possible that it sucked me in and wouldn't let go.
  10. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Game of thrones was good laura, and Dresden Files were/is/are awesome!
  11. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Get hooked on Pratchett. You'll never go back.

Now's the time to start reading the Wheel of Time, since book 14 is coming out soon to finish the series. You should be right about done with 13 by the time it comes out. But only if you start today. :D

If you like a little more realisitic, or historical, W.E.B. Griffin is good.
  12. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

"The Passage" by Justin Cronin. Have some Clive Barker on order (Abarat part 2) and also some Richard Laymon amongst others.
  13. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Pratchett's Discworld was amazing!

I never heard of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., aka Robert Jordan but it sounds intriguing, should last me for the summer.:)
  14. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

An Idiot Abroad. The travel diaries of Karl Pilkington. Highly entertaining.
  15. Kestrel13!

Well I got 200 pages into this (It's about 1,000 pages all in all) before putting it up for another time. The writer seemed to blather on about alot of stuff that was not in my opinion very relevant to the main plot, I got tired of it... On the other hand Richard Laymon's "In the Dark" is GREAT if you are into horror, blood and gore :-D My favourite horror writer of all has to be Clive Barker, "Weaveworld" being the one I enjoyed most although I have not read everything from Barker.

He wrote a book called Abarat which continues into a series, (only part two has been written so far - three not yet been done) absolutely wonderful book which was not all about horror, blood and gore suprisingly for Barker. That's the beauty of him, he is so versatile. "Galilee" is another example of what I just described...again, nothing to do woth horror, I was amazed to see it develop into a bit of a romance, thoroughly enjoyable read, a good long book too if I recall correctly.

Also just gone and treated myself to a kindle, so exploring lots of different authors that I would not normally go for. There's so much available in the free sections at amazon that I have not even begun paying for anything yet :-D
  16. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie Warby Max Brooks (son of Mel Brooks :))

I have no idea why, but I love Zombie stuff. I can't wait for 'The Walking Dead' to come back on.

Next, I'm going to get his book "The Zombie Survival Guide". :-D
  17. Kestrel13!

Nice choice Laura :-D I like zombies too.

I am reading The Ritual at the moment by Adam Nevill.
  18. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

I hate Max Brooks. I really do. Just... he tries really hard to be as funny as his father, and he's... just NOT.

David Eddings was among my favorites growing up. I still enjoy re-reading a lot of his things, particularly the earlier ones.

Incidentally, Terry Brooks is also good reading. Read in the order written first, then go back and read chronologically. It probably won't make a lot of sense until you get to the end of the third read. Just remember knights.

I'd recommend Terry Goodkind, but he's a jerk. Zeddicus is hilarious though.
  19. Spock96

20. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Hush, by Anne Frasier