What's Everyone Reading?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Spock96, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Finished that series and am now reading EONA by Alison Goodman. Sequel to EON.

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Just finished "Currency Wars", by James Rickards. Absolutely brilliant look into markets, their function, and the false state of wealth allowed by the use of fiat currency.

Definitely a must read, and just more evidence that Wall St. are nothing but profiteering snake oil salesmen, who unfortunately run the U.S. Government.

The most alarming conclusion was the chapter on how the Federal Reserve, and the U.S. Treasury use an Enron style, off books balancing of their holdings that would land anyone else in jail for a long time. Ergo, the nation's central bank is technically fiscally insolvent, the market just hasn't realized it yet...

3. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

After watching the TV series, I have started reading Game of Thrones, by George R.R. Martin. Rowr.

4. WobblesRArt

WobblesRArt MajorGeek

I like a few series books, like WEB Griffin, and Tom Clancy....I have to ride public trans, and they moved the place where all of the buses stoped. Found my way to a library this past week, and found some books to take home.....when Griffin added his son, as a 2nd writer, I had to check him out.....worked fine....I have lost other writer's in the past, that by adding somebody to the mix, I didn't like the way things mixed...

I was walking by a stack, and saw a Tom Clancy that I haven't read yet. That had another writer added. I didn't check if there wasn't a older book in the series. Most of Clancy's work can be read by them selves. I need to get the last book, and more things will fall in place.

5. Spock96

I thought about picking that series up off Amazon a few months ago, but didn't have the cash to do it.

Let me know if the series is any good. It seems to be.

6. Mimsy

It is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

7. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I just picked up a paperback called:

"The (un)Occupy movement"

Fifteen dollars. and a buttload of Wisdom later, I feel a little better about a fiat economy.

HOWEVER. Fluid ideas, a fluid economy do not make.

Alan Greenspan deserves to be "born again" into a life of destitute poverty.

BUT, I'm not "God"...

8. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

I just finished R.A. Salvatore's new Drizzit book, it was called Neverwinter. It is book 2 in the neverwinter series. All the companions are gone, and he found himself alone in the wilderness with a strange elf. Can't wait for the next book which is due out in OCt. I believe. It will be called.....Charon's claw I think. It's kinda' sad, I've read between 20-30 books about the dark elf and his 4 other companions, and now they are not there..... :(. Still a great book!!

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Beginning Microsoft SQL Server® 2008 Programming

10. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

Ain't that more like brainwashing than reading???

Good ol' MS

just sayin' :)

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If it is, my brain is going to be dumber than when it went in ;)

12. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

just as long as everything you do involves clicking on the "start" button first, you'll be fine LOL

13. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

"The Hunger Games". Going to bed to continue reading it right now! :)

14. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Yay! It's awesome, Em. You'll have to read the rest of them when you finish.

I'm reading "The Giver" by Lois Lowry

"In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories. Under the tutelage of the Elders and an old man known as the Giver, he discovers the disturbing truth about his utopian world and struggles against the weight of its hypocrisy."

Has anyone read this?

15. Spock96

Yes!!!
    I remember that book from an English class I had in maybe 7-8 grade. It's so good!

I just finished Airborn by Kenneth Oppel. Very good read. Puts you in the mind of Treasure Island.
    Can't wait till I get the spare cash to by the sequel. :)

16. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Frank Peretti, Illusion

17. Mimsy

Has anyone read Redshirts? The blurb and reviews makes it look brilliantly hilarious, but the price tag is a serious turn-off. If I'm going to pay $12 for a book, I want an actual item, not a bunch of bits and bytes...

18. Kestrel13!

Onto the second book now Laura. Loving it!

19. Spock96

Couldn't sleep last night so I started Tanglewreck By Jeanette Winterson.
    Only a few chapters in and it's alright.

20. LauraR

I just finished it. It was very good. I'd say I'm surprised I didn't have to read it for school, cept it was published well after I was out. LOL

There are some great concepts in it about the idea of those that would like everyone to conform to their way of thinking and living....the idea of society moving to 'Sameness'.

They really are great. The last one is really a departure from the way the first two were, but still excellent....more 'adult'.

Looks good, Spock.:)

I'm going to start on Divergent. I just discovered it today and bought it:

21. Spock96

I saw that at walmart lastnight was gonna buy it, but didn't please let me know if it's any good.

22. Mimsy

I think I've read Divergent. It looks very familiar... it may have been a temporary freebie when my eReader was new. I'll try to find it.

23. LauraR

It is really good! I ended up reading over half the book yesterday.:) I haven't finished yet, but so far, worth the read.

24. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

The Girl Who Played with Fire, Stieg Larsson. Wonderful book.

25. Spock96

Is that part of the girl with the dragon tattoo series?

26. Mimsy

It's part two. The last one is called "the girl who kicked a hornest's nest", or something like that, in the US.

27. Spock96

Ok, just curious.

@Mimsy-- You ever get around to reading Killer Protocol?

28. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

John Sandford's Stolen Prey - Lucas Davenport kickin' a$$ and takin' names...

29. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Clive Cussler's latest Dirk Pitt book Poseidon's Arrow.

30. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

"The Seven Pillars of Wisdom" by T. E. Lawrence

(reading it again . . . picked it at random in my library. Wanted something to read but couldn't think of a title I wanted or had that interested me at the time).

31. Caliban

Zoo by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge.

Animals are attacking humans - sounds like a novel idea...

32. Kestrel13!

The Boy Who could see Demons by Carolyn Jess Cooke was a GREAT read, but I was still left with some unanswered questions by the conclusion.

I want to read The Guardian Angel's Journal by the same author but at the moment, I'm doing Stephen King's Insomnia.

33. Caliban

Hi, Kes...

I've read Insomnia - King is king...;)

34. Kestrel13!

Only on the very first section, Chapter 2 now, I just can't put it down! :)

35. giffy

giffy Private E-2

"The Seven Pillars of Wisdom" by T. E. Lawrence

36. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

It's not just there. I read it to see what all the hype was about, and it struck me as a cross between the Penthouse Forums and a 1970's Harlequin. LOL

My current reading project is to go through Stephen King's Gunslinger series from start to finish, including the peripheral novels and stories. I read (and bought) them all as they came out, but I've never read them back-to-back in one fell swoop.

37. Spock96

Hoping to finish A Clash of Kings over term break and maybe start A Storm of Swords.

38. Caliban

Michael Connelly's The Black Box - Harry Bosch huntin' down a cold-case killer...

What I like about Connelly is that he always sprinkles the critical clues around, but he disguises them so well they slap you in the face at the right time. Good stuff.

39. Spock96

Still have yet to finish A Clash of Kings. When I finally get around to finishing that series I'm going to start into The Wheel of Time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds