WHat's The Difference Between Hibernation, Standby, and Sleep?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Max Powerz, May 19, 2004.

1. Max Powerz

Max Powerz Sergeant

Didn't it used to just be standby? What are these new modes? WHat is standby anyway, I never used it, haha.

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Hibernate : Stores all data thats in RAM onto a place on the hard disk.. and then powers the machine off completley. When you reboot, windows restores everything thats in ram from HD, and puts the machine back into the state it was before hibernation

Sleep/Standby : puts the machine into low power mode, which usually means turning off all components except for RAM, and a couple of other chipsets. The machine is still "on" but the data is not flushed from volatile memory (which requires power to be given to it or it looses data).

Hope that answers your question :)

3. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

Well, it answers my question! Thanks Goldy!! I never knew the difference either!

4. Max Powerz

Max Powerz Sergeant

Heyyy thanks, heh, does sleep/standby turn off all the fans as well? And if your dling something and put it into standby will it continue to dl? I'm guessing no but... Oh! And I have ab utton on my keybored that looks like a moon, does that put it in sleep/standby or hibernation? What's the point of having hibernation if they already had standby?

5. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

sleep.standby can turn off fans, it depends whether or not your mainboard supports this, check in the BIOS for more information.
    Yes, the moon icon should put your machine in to standby.
    Hibernate is for an extended period of time, often I hibernate my machine rather than shutting down windows, as it will come back up in about 15 seconds. It's also very handy for mobile users, standby still consumes battery power, whereas hibernate doesn't. This is a feature that used to be handled by third party apps on notebooks, then MS just added the feature.

6. Max Powerz

Max Powerz Sergeant

Sweeeet, thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds