What's the difference between temp and temporary?

Discussion in 'Software' started by JimLL, Dec 19, 2010.

1. JimLL

JimLL I can't follow the rules

An updated version of my registry cleaner suddenly went to work on my entire system cleaning out temporary files. It ended up telling me it had deleted 2003 of them - without asking me. (The button I clicked said "Scan" not "Scan and Trash.") Several programs (Firefox lost major configurations, including all stored passwords) were effected in differing degrees.

So how do you know if a temporary file is temporary? I just stumbled across one temp file with 586 objects in it. If they are temporary why does the system build them up like huge piles of dirty diapers? If they hold vital objects why are they put in files referred to at tem, temp, etc? Are programmers as clueless as I am about what it's all about?

What can a user eliminate safely? Might "temp" just as well be spelled "bird egg?"

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

First of all, most registry cleaners aren't good anyway. If you want one, I would suggest using CCleaner's registry tool. CCleaner is a great program all around.

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You have all sorts of temp files. Temp internet files as well as temp files from installation packages. You can pretty much use CCLeaner for most temp files as well as going to start / run / and type:
    %temp%

I would not recommend using any registry cleaners. ;)

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

JimLL
    Jim, it would be very informative to know what program you were using, to stop us, maybe, going the same way. :cry

Bazza

===

5. JimLL

I used Registry Mechanic by P C Tools for years just fine up to version 8. Versions 9 and 10 take all kinds of liberties with your system.

I didn't get 9 at first and intended to just try out version 10. But when I ran the installer it destroyed my old installation completely and put itself in permanently without asking permission! Why have so many developers got so hot to secretly screw around with your personal configurations?

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

6. JimLL

Thanks. I'll try that. I've seen it recommended several places (since I got Registry Mechanic).

Interesting. While reading your post I noticed at the top of the page an advertisement for the P C Tools registry cleaner (Registry Mechanic).

Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na! Not any more, I'm telling you.

7. pjubber

pjubber Private E-2

Does this mean that you wouln't recommend using the "Registry Cleaner" that comes with CCLeaner, either? Thanks in advance.

8. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

There are a number of people here who question the benefits of registry cleaners. At worst, you can do horrible damage to your system if the registry cleaner is too aggressive.

Always backup your registry before doing it.

Ccleaner is the tool of choice here for a lot of people if you are going to use one. It isn't aggressive and a lot of people here do use it.

9. JimLL

At one newsgroup there was a guy who insisted that any registry cleaning destroyed all Restore point function. I, for one can't prove him wrong, altho I'd like to. But my Restore points never work any more.

10. JimLL

I don't wish to argue the point, but I've always been very put off by the enormous amount of dirty diapers Windows leaves lying around. I guess that's why I use registry cleaners - always from a well known developer.

But apparently _all_ developers have gotten far into the practice of secretly screwing around with the guts of your computer, removing your configurations, etc. Apparently they are sent straight from God to repair your stupidity in setting up what you want the way you want it. I have one utility that actually has an option to remove software you don't need!!! But at least it is an _option_.

As far as I'm concerned if the very most reputable of developers puts out something that messes with my computer without my permission it _IS_ by definition, malware. Even though they charge you to let them mess up your configurations. :mad

11. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Since this topic of registry cleaners keeps coming up again and again. Let me just repeat what I just posted in another thread:
    Now let me comment on your first message where you said

Cleaning temp or temporary files has nothing to do with registry cleaning. The registry itself is a file. What is in the registry is commonly referred to as hives, keys,...etc. These are like database records. When you run a "registry cleaner" ( just the registry cleaner part ) it is looking at the registry hives and keys not your temporary files on your PC. Cleaning temporary files should be non-harmful however some programs go overboard on what they consider temporary files and this can sometimes lead to some issues like making it difficult to impossible to cleanly uninstall some programs since necessary info from the installation was cleaned up. There are other examples too. However in most cases, cleaning up temporary files is a non-issue. Blindly cleaning the registry on the other hand can be quite dangerous and should on be performed when and as stated above in my quote.

An extremely high percentage of reasons why Windows Update fails and why other programs start having bugs or strange crashes, is due to people running a registry cleaner at one time or another and blindly fxing all the falsely detected problems. Some registry keys are supposed to look like dead ends.

All the above being stated, I would uninstall Registry Mechanic and never use it again.

12. chaslang

13. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

miekiemoes is another Belgian from the same location as me in beautiful Brugge.

14. chaslang

Yes Bill! :) And she does the same kinds of support work that I do and we agree 100% on this topic as do many other experts.

15. JimLL

I am neither an idiot nor a liar. I _know_ registry cleaners aren't supposed to mess with temporary files. That's exactly the point. When I clicked "Scan" THEY DID and reported _right on the screen_ that they had deleted over 2000 temps and other things _without asking_ and the results were immediate and obvious. That is precisely why I will never use them again.

Perhaps you feel anyone who questions old companies is stupid, but nowadays everyone and his dog is expanding into screwing around with your computer secretly. Zone Alarm keeps spamming me with anti-virus ads and more right from inside their firewall. At least I can say no to that. But they _did_ install some background stuff that had nothing to do with firewalls. Budding Madoffs are everywhere.

16. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

That statement is not only wrong but it is also offensive, at no time has anyone called you an idiot or questioned the "old companies" what Chaslang said is that he and many other malware technicians do NOT advocate using registry cleaners.
    Cleaning the registry will not give any noticeable increase in speed and can adversely effect the PC, it can actually fragment your registry, so it is best left alone.

17. pjubber

pjubber Private E-2

Re: What's the ....registry cleaners

Thank you all so much for the information on Registry Cleaners! I admit I've been using the one in CCLeaner quite a bit over the past year or so. Thankfully, I've had no major problems and if I've had minor problems because of it, I'm unaware... which is precisely why I thank you so much -- because I don't know enough to be using the Registry Cleaner in the first place!:)

18. JimLL

The "old timers" (of whatever age) always put things in words with the so called "plausible deniability," making their clear point by inuendo. They are accepted.

I make my points without the subterfuge and therefore am called offensive.

No matter. I've seen it happening for a bunch of decades, and as long as there are those who see themselves as overseers of little turfs and surfs it will continue.

19. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Actually, in this case, it's called real experience in working with thousands of machines. While on some forums (and this one) number of posts does not necessarily equal expertise, in chaslang's case it does. Not only that, he is an Administrator here and has earned the respect of the members and the owners of this board.

Please understand that when you ask a question you are going to get a lot of different opinions. It is you who have chosen to ask the question. Major Geeks is a place where people can come without fearing being ridiculed or belittled. When you ask a question, you will get answers. You may not agree with them or like them but they certainly aren't a personal attack on you as you have seemed to take it. I'm not sure what it was about chaslang's post you found so offensive that you felt the need to respond with such lack of respect, but he is speaking from experience.

The fact is registry cleaners can completely screw up a machine. Most users think that they should be able to just load the registry cleaner and set it to cleaning without going through the items it's going to delete. This is a dangerous practice. Ccleaner, as others have said, is pretty safe as far as registry cleaners go. If you aren't going to look at the items, I would recommend that one.

20. chaslang

Thanks Laura. :)

However, I still advocate what I said previous still applies even to Ccleaner. Use the other tools in it only and leave to registry cleaning to be performed only when an expert recommends it and when the expert supervises what to remove with it.

21. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Consider registry defragmentation, THAT is how we tweak the registry. CCleaner has the edge for being conservative if you feel the need to clean it safely.

Oddly enough back in the day authors would argue that their program found more registry entries and hence were better, looking back they all sucked.

22. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

P.S As for the newsgroup guys (people use newsgroups still?) what he can never prove to you is that registry cleaning makes a computer run faster. It does not. Does it fix errors? I guess depending how you look at it, but cleaning will not fix an error your computer is giving you.

It does however add a risk of breaking something for no good reason by using an aggressive registry cleaning tool. Registry cleaning does not destroy restore point functions, if it did I would have lost numerous restore points over my years evaluating. I could easily prove it, but its a waste of time to argue with people.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds