whats the energy efficiency of a ultra vseries 400 w psu

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cadar21, Jul 20, 2007.

1. cadar21

cadar21 Private E-2

I cant find the energy efficiency info...
    I dont know whether to buy this ultra v series400w or a cooler master x gamer 430w or antec TruePower Trio 430

i know the coolermasters
    . High efficiency and reliability (MTBF > 100,000 Hrs @ full-load / 25 Degree C)
    . Green power design to meet blue angel and energy star (<1W @ Standby Mode)
    Antecs 80% effficient...

The reason im asking is Ive noticed a change in my elec bill....
    I want to cut it down......

2. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Perhaps reading between the headlines in manufacturer's statistics would help you make a decision.

That's 11.4 years! Do the manufacturer's give a 10year+ guarantee???

400/430 Watts.

You should look at the current requirements of your most hungry components (usually video these days) separately for both 5V and 12 volt rails an ensure that this is comfortably within the power supplies capability. Multiply each by their respective voltages and add to get a wattage requirement, don't do it the other way as some psus may have enough oomph one one rail but not the other or not both together.

Switching regulator efficiencies increase with load but you will never run all rails at full load and not at 25degC

4. cadar21

cadar21 Private E-2

Thank you viper_boy403's thats better than what i asked for ...
    Either one therers not much diff other than price....Thanks dude...

Thanks Studiot...i DIDDNT QUITE UNDERSTAND... but you came through with some good inf....Thanks..

Ithink ill by the antec some dudes selling it to me for 25$....His daddy bought him a new rig...oh well ??????my gainnnnnn....Later dudes

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Ask your Physics teacher to walk you through it. I'm sure she will be happy to.

6. cadar21

cadar21 Private E-2

I didnt understand what you ment by rails::for both 5V and 12 volt rails::
    And what you ment by::::: Multiply each by their respective voltages and add to get a wattage requirement,:::::

I dont need that much tech advice...but thanks for letting me know ...

7. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

he's just saying (i think ;)) that make sure when shopping for an energy friendly PSU that you get one that can comfortably power all your components. If you dont wanna get too into all this then just get a PSU that will be more than enough just for some breathing room. What are the specs of your computer? i can find the PSU specs online later.

and more technically (just for kicks) add up the power drain on the 5v rail and also the 12v rail(s) separately and come up with the wattage you need to power all the components. Some PSUs have strong 5v rails, some have powerful 12v rail(s) and some have both which would be optimal. T, i hope this is somewhat what you were talking about?

8. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Yeah that's right.

Some highwattage power supplies can't give all the extra current at 12 volts that extreme graphics cards require.

A quality psu will separately state the max available current at 5 volts and at 12 volts. Some will even state the max on different 12V connectors as it is also a function of wire size to the connectors.

If you look at the current and voltage specs for each rail ( a rail is a supplied voltage e. +12 or -12 or+3.3) and multiply to get the wattage, since wattage = volts x amps and then add all the results up you will see that the theoretical total is probably greater than the wattage of the psu. This is because it is not expected to supply all these simultaneously.

All psus should have no trouble supplying the current at the other voltages generated.

Thus reading the label on the Bestec psu which died in the Emachines I recently fixed

+5Volts @ 25 amps = 125watts
    +3.3V @ 20A = 66W
    +12V @13A = 156W
    -5V @ 0.3A =1.5W
    -12V @ 0.8A =9.6W

Total Wattage = 358

But the psu was rated at 250 watts max so could not supply all the current demand simultaneously. Then the user fitted a gofaster graphics card which gobbled up the 12 power. No wonder the supply died.

9. cadar21

cadar21 Private E-2

Okay kool i get it....
    But this is for a simple gaming machine
    Biostar --K8M800-M7A
    AMD 2800 + SOCKET 754
    768 DDR RAM
    EVGA 128MB AGP
    40 IBM HD..ata/100
    -super case --ATX
    current psu....OKIA 430w -atx

These are my current specs...im upgrading piece by piece...
    Im on my pc 6-7 hrs a day ..if my nephs come over its on all day... I just heard replacing your psu could lower energy bill....and mine has slowly risen.....
    So you see i dont need an powerful ps i just need an efficient one...to help lower my bills...

10. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

430W should be just fine then

11. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I think before you look at the PSU you should look at if you're doing something different, if you adjusted your fridge temp up a bit or if it's failing slowly, that alone can wipe out any power savings by spending good money for a new PSU for a marginal savings. A hot water heater sucks so much you wouldn't notice the difference of a new PSU. How much extra kWHs are you burning every month, with everything else being egual?

I don't know if you've done any of these electricity saving tips but here goes:

Replace your incandescent lights with compact fluorescents, install low flow water taps and shower head, use your microwave to semi-cook potatoes before making hash browns etc, turn electronic equipment at a breaker as TV instant on etc. can suck alot of power.

I know, off topic though nevertheless important but try and find out why it's increasing. It could even be your meter going wonky. Good luck.

EDIT: Since you watch your bill so closely, you've prabably done all the above.;)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds