What's wrong with copy/paste?

Discussion in 'Software' started by drcarl, Apr 1, 2011.

1. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

For a couple of weeks now, the copy/paste function has been hobbled.

I have been cutting or copying and pasting for many years and rely on both the keyboard shortcuts and mouse clicking options.

What's happening now: I select and copy something, say, some text, a URL, anything. If I go directly to my target and paste, all is good. If I delay for more than 30? 60? seconds, or do some other task on the way to my target, nothing is there when I attempt to paste! It's like the copy/past has expired and now has a time limit.

I've run sfc /scannow and all is good. I am getting no error messages.

Am running Win 7 x64.

Although it's a relatively minor issue, and I've a workaround, it's pushing me to the breaking point and may drive me insane...and we really don't want me to be insane. :cry

Help?

TIA
    :major
    drcarl

2. w7pro

w7pro Private E-2

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

In the run box type services.msc then <enter>
    Look for the following services:
    Network DDE DSDM
    Network DDE
    Clipbook

Right click and select Restart

4. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

I would really like to find a solution besides System Restore since I have been cleaning some things up, uninstalling, re-installing, etc.

I opened services.msc successfully yet find ~none~ of the three services mentioned to right-click on and restore.

I really hope that someone can help me figure this out.

TIA

drcarl

5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, drcarl.

I have seen references to your problem involving the Win 7 Aero theme - if you have Aero running, you might try disabling it and see if your symptoms change.

If that doesn't help, do the symptoms present when you boot to Safe Mode? There may be some 3rd-party programs or services causing the issue.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

7. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

I am running one of the Aero themes. Thanks.

Before I change the theme, I am trying to find a way to duplicate the problem so I can test it. And, oddly enough, copy/paste is working fairly well - ! oh no !

I ran across another computer user who said Java is having copy.paste issues and they they are working on it. Not sure if that's related or not, nor do I know how to test that!

plodr - thanks for the link...but, seems that that service only runs with Win7 Pro, and I have Home Premium - I should revisit blackviper now that Win7 has been out for a while.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi DrCarl

For a very weird and sadistic option I was hoping your cut n paste was not now working, but as it is its going to be difficult to trace the cause, but I will let you know what I was going to suggest as a cause/s.

1. Already mentioned in boot to safe mode when this happens and see if you can cut n paste.

2. Its a 3rd party addon in the context menu list (the right click menus) and to see if that is the case, and to aid you not having to do this manually in the registry this app ShellMenuView )dont worry it works in Win7 x64 ok if you download the x64 version and then once unzipped, right click and choose Run as Administrator) is good and all you need to do is to is to sort the list via company name, then disable all non Microsoft ones, reboot and test.

If ok then likelihood is one of them is the cause,, so enable in blocks or per one company or application like if you like if you have Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Acrobat Reader, just enable Photoshop (or vice versa) and test that one app, if ok enable the next and so on.

3. Not to be coming off with a daft option, but are CTRL + C and CTRL + V not working as right click Copy and Cut? or vice versa.

4. Before this happened did you install any new applications or updates? if so what?

9. drcarl

drcarl Staff Sergeant

David,

I must be curiously sick, too..and crazy as I wanted copy/paste to be broken, too.

I am at a roadblock for doing anything until I discover a way to duplicate this now intermittent problem. It might not be intermittent, and may just be something consistent I am not noticing.

U usually select with the mouse, then use the keyboard for copy/paste...I may start trying to reverse that just for un-fun.

Thank you for the ShellMenuView. I can see where that could come in VERY handy.

Check this out... I believe it has been mostly snippets of web pages I was trying to copy...hmmmm http://www.sqlinform.com/forum4/read.php?3,467

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds