Whats wrong with my pc?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sukatski, Dec 6, 2010.

1. sukatski

sukatski Private E-2

[​IMG]
    Dunno why but when my computer was working suddenly my monitor turned off and the computer was still working, so i turned it off with restart button.when i turned it on again my computer loaded like this (that photo above)(there werent those white bars before) ,when it was loading windows, there was alot of those bars too. it loaded .. and suddenly shut down, turned on again and told that my computer couldnt start normaly.. only safe mode with internet(or without it) worked. i left my pc off for night and other day it worked. few days later this happened again ,but now my pc doesnt fix itself.Any ideas what is going on?

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Although the picture isn't showing, it sounds like one of a few things:

1. Disconnect the video cable from the monitor. If the monitor is working properly it should display a "no signal" or test pattern bar. If not, take the monitor to another PC and test it.

1. The power supply (PSU) on the PC might be going bad. If it is an "OEM" PC (Dell, HP, etc.) and a standard tower case, it should take a standard size "ATX" power supply - if it is a compact desktop (thin height) unit it may be a speciality size. If you feel comfortable doing the work yourself, carefully remove the PSU and take it to a PC parts store (Fry's, MicroCenter, etc.) and ask them to match it up. If you aren't familiar with replacing a power supply, it might be a good idea to ask an experienced friend for help or take it to a PC repair shop. An good "ATX" type power supply for a standard PC without an add-in video card (about 350-400 watt) should cost no more than $40 plus about $40-$50 for install labor. If you have a powerful video card, a higher wattage PSU may run $80 or more.

2. If the PC is still running (fan, lights, etc.) when the video goes out, your video card (or integrated "on-board" video on the motherboard) may be going bad. If the video connection on the back of the PC is next to the USB and network ports, you have "on-board" video. Most PCs have a slot on the motherboard where you can add in a new video card. There are different slot types (AGP, PCI, PCI-E). If you do the work yourself be sure to check the mfr. specs for the model on the Internet to be sure you get the right type card. Again, if you're a novice at this, it's worth asking an experienced friend for help or taking it to a PC repair shop.

Finally (since I don't know the specs or age of the PC), don't spend more to repair it than the PC is worth. If a shop quotes you $200 to repair a PC that's several years old, you may be better off buying a new one that will be a lot faster (even a new "entry level" PC bought today at around $400-$500 will run circles around a "high end" PC that's 5 years old).

If the repair bill is high and money is tight, consider an "off-lease" (refurbished) PC from TigerDirect.com or MicroCenter. You can normally get a decent basic refurbished model for about $150. If you buy a used or refurb PC from a local shop or private seller (Craigslist, etc.), be sure the copy of Windows is Genuine (not a hacked copy). Aside from being illegal, non-Genuine copies of Windows are more prone to virus and malware issues.

Hope this info helps. :)

PS: Whenever a Windows PC shuts down unexpectedly, it always restarts in "Safe Mode" - this is normal - if everything is OK just reboot it and it should restart in normal mode. If the PC is shutting off by itself, this symptom puts a defective power supply at the top of the suspect list.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  3. sukatski

sukatski Private E-2

how can i know witch problem i have since im total newbie compared to pc stuff?

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Can you post more information about your PC that's having the issues?

* Brand/model
    * Apx. age of the PC
    * Size of case (tower/upright or compact/desktop)
    * Is the video connector on the motherboard (next to the back USB ports) or a few inches away (in a seperate card slot)?

My guess is the problem is a bad power supply (esp. if the PC is over 2-3 years old); however without actually seeing it and testing it it's impossible to be sure.

Replacing a power supply or video card requires a bit of skill. Again, if you don't feel comfortable opening up the PC to replace items or don't have a friend who has worked on the inside of a PC before, I would take it to a local PC shop and not worry about posting the above info.

If you take it to a shop, find out how much the diagnostic/estimate cost will be up front (many shops will give free estimates). Using the estimated current value of the PC (see my first post), don't spend more to fix it than it's worth.

Good luck. Hope you get the problem resolved soon.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds