What's wrong with this ipconfig for a Trendnet wired router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by loninappleton, Nov 21, 2012.

1. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

While trying to solve a connection dropout problem with a torrent client, my ISP suggested that I may need a router added to the Zoom adslx5 modem they supply. I acknowledged that yes the dsl and internet worked fine until the software program tried to work during a file transfer process. The signal dropped and a hard reset is necessary.

I got the router: a small wired Trendnet that a firend had as an unused piece of gear so it was fresh in packaging.

I went through the manual but the Trendnet ready light continues to flash. I also saw the message:

Setup completed. Waiting for 192.168.0.1

That was done from the small pamphlet. I have to print the manual today.

My question to experienced router and network users is: does the printed ipsconfig below tell anything that should be changed in a router's setup procedure?

System under discussion

AMD Athlon II x3 450 Regor 3.2 Ghz
    MSI 880GM-E41 mainboard
    Kingston DDR3 Hyperx/fb 2x2Gb
    Seagate Baracuda 160Gb IDE HD
    Logisys 480w Power supply
    USB mouse
    corded keyboard
    using onboard video by ATI

The onboard NIC is from Atheros and I have no knowledge about the descriptions of their unusual ip config numbers and settings.

I have made an attachment of a screen shot of the ipconfig.

The goal is to correctly apply what Atheros is showing to the Trendnet router setup.

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Hi loninappleton.

Your attachment does not show up so we can't see your information.
    What model and version of Trendnet router are you using and what operating system and service pack level?

3. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

The naming convention on the Gadwin printscreen program shows that jpg is created. I have not been able to use the manage attachments box.

I will try it again...

Apparently the file is too big. I do not know what accounts for that.

Maybe the preferred bmp can be made through "paint" or something? Dunno.

But what I did do was edit a text file made in notepad so that the ipconfig is readable.

I can paste that in here (note that formatting is not exact as in a screen shot b/c I edited out the spaces etc. by hand.

Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name : lon4msi
    Primary Dns Suffix :
    Node Type : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. : NoEthernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix : Description : Atheros AR8131 PCI-E
    Gigabit Ethernet Controller Physical Address. : 6C-62-6D-F7-00-FA
    Dhcp Enabled. : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled : Yes
    IP Address. : 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
    IP Address. : fe80::6e62:6dff:fef7:fa%4
    Default Gateway : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers : 8.26.56.26 156.154.70.22 fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1 fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1 fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
    Lease Obtained. : Friday, November 09, 2012 10:26:39 AM
    Lease Expires : Saturday, November 10, 2012 10:26:39 AM
    Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix :
    Description : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. : FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF
    Dhcp Enabled. : No
    IP Address. : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%5
    Default Gateway :
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. :
    DisabledTunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix : Description : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
    Physical Address. : C0-A8-01-02
    Dhcp Enabled. : No
    IP Address. : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.2%2
    Default Gateway :
    DNS Servers : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1 fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1 fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1 NetBIOS over Tcpip. : Disabled

note: Where it shows Primary DNS as blank, it really is blank. I only took out some spaces to make it legible.

When my two computer's ethernets are connected to the router and the router's WAN is connected to the Zoom ADSLx5 the Status light continues to blink.

Also I now have the manual in a form that I can read on paper to work with.
    It's the holiday here-- no report back from Trendnet so far.

4. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

Further reading onthis from this, my first setup of a router says in the cd manual that to install/ initialize the router, you go through the same steps used for the dsl modem. I looked up the setup for my router and it shows the tcp/ip procedure to "obtain an IP address automatically."

This was not in the pamphlet provided by Trendnet but it is in the manual.

The question for me is; Is the same "Disable" and then "Enable" procedure needed as it is for the modem?

In this part of setup (and before I replug everything to try it) the goal is to get the Trendnet "Status" light to stop flashing red. The red flash on the status is not even described in the manual but I believe it is caused by not getting data to pass.

Anyone who has set up a router can advise on this part of the setup. I want to get the procedure in hand before replugging again.

5. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

This information would be helpful.

6. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

It's a TW100-S4W1CA/AS F/w ver 1.00 H/w Ver. G1.OR.

No firmware or anything has been added, it was sealed.

I have Win XP SP3.

When you set up a router do you do the same things in XP you do for the DSL, that is do the 'find' procedure through Windows? This should not have changed much over time.

7. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Hi loninappleton.

Concerning the status light -
    Page 7 - 8 of your manual
    STATUS
    This indicator blinks red when the Internet Broadband Router is
    successfully working. If the indicator is either always on or off, the
    Internet Broadband Router is not working properly.

You should be able to plug everything in and have a connection. You might have to power cycle your entire set up. By this I mean shutting down all components, computers, router and modem, and then bringing them back up in sequence allowing each to fully connect before starting the next - modem first, then router then computers.
    See if that works.

8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

What do you mean by "find" procedure in xp for dsl? In dsl you may have to setup a ppoe connection or something. But with a router you should have the logon info inside that router, and your pc should just be plug in and go.

9. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

Well something is way off here. I am looking at the 7-8 page of the manual and it says that the Status indicator light blinks *green* when the Internet Broadband router is successfully working. This makes more logical sense. And added to that, when the unit is not plugged into anything but power and a connection to an unused port of the modem, it still blinks red.

I did the power down routine etc. and the blinking red continued. I reconnected my ethernet lines to the dsl modem.

Today I will do the discovery routine with the router after powering down etc.

And I'll start with just one computer going.

10. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

This business with the lights is getting to me.

By find I mean the discovery process of finding the hardware such as a new HD etc. That should take place when the modem or router is run through the disable and enable procedure.

I wrote this down when reconnecting just and doing all the power on etc:

I can't plug it in any other way. One ethernet From dsl modem to WAN port of Router. One ethernet from Router to Computer. Still blinking red. Still not seeing a connection is my interpretation of that. I tried to use the internet with Firefox and that failed.

The discovery procedure (disable/enable tcp/ip) itself did not show any errors.

In Device manager, Network connections just says the Atheros NIC is working and functioning properly.

On the Trendnet all lights are green except for the flashing red status.

I did not go through the setup routine with the login to the Trendnet this time. With no activity it would make sense to see solid green lights. Without that, the setup procedure is meaningless.

11. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Who is your dsl provider, and previously did you have to enter a username/password upon connecting to the internet?

12. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

The dsl provider is unimportant. Besides I talked to them already. And no, no username password is required. My connection is always on. If turned the dsl modem off and then on no message box says username and password unless I am at a library using netmail or something.

Just now I went through the whole setup and nothing. At the prompts you mention I left blank according to the PPoE instructions.

What I see is the two computer icons down in the tray, one is lit and tries to go to the other one for a connection, but if the Trendnet is connected, any of those connection attempts fails. And XP reports the Atheros NIC is functioning properly. In other words, the OS is not reporting any problems I can find.

I can't believe I have to go through all this just to get the thing to pass data. Something is wrong here. I switched out the ethernet cable provided in the box with one of mine and no change. If what you say about automatic connection is true then the router is not functioning (which I doubt) or the physical setup is wrong.

Is there any sort of loop back test for these routers? Like plugging it into itself to see if it sees anything? That was the old style of serial port testing.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  13. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

If you have 2 computers showing, do you have a wireless NIC also installed in the computer? If so disable it in Device Manager.
    If you have a second connection application running (for example Intelpro), disable/exit it and let the Windows service handle the connection.

If you have any third party firewall software installed, try disabling/exiting that program for a short time to see if that is blocking the connection.
    It's not unheard of for a piece of equipment to be DOA so don't discount the possibility.

If the router is connected correctly, you should be able to use your browser and type in the address bar the following IP address - 192.168.0.1 . This gets you to the log-in page of the router's configuration utility. Default username - admin. Default password - (left blank)

Please see below picture of the pages I was referring to. Is it the same as you are looking at?

[​IMG]

14. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

an update on things tried:

Manual says If the WAN port is linked to the ADSL/Cable modem, the WAN
    port’s Link/ACT LED will light up.
    3. If the LAN port is linked to the computer system, the LAN port’s Link/ACT LED will ight

up.

That's another thing that isn't happening: no Link/ACT status light is going.

Next I am going to login to the device again and inspect the Status page (not the light) the stutus page where it gives all the info on the device as installed.

I maintain that I've plugged the unit in right.

As farr as panel indicaters go there is:

Power- green
    status- blinking red
    wan- green
    #3 port connected- green
    Link/ACT not lit.

going to the status screen now...

Well since I am not able to send a screenshot due to size limits I'm going to skip that and not copy by hand for now.

I am looking at the Trendnet Advanced settings. Last one at the bottom called Routing says:

"there are multiple routers installed on your network. It is necessary to configure the unit's routing functions."

They are saying that the Zoom has to be configured by my understanding. I've been down this street too with Zoom tech support. I could not access the login page but I'll see if I can do it without the Trendnet attached.

Previously my chat with tech support at.... here it comes... Northern Data and Telephone/Athenet they said they'd switch out the Zoom if found defective. Defective according to them means I can connect two machines and use the dsl service and the net.

And yes I pay my bills with them.

Am back with dsl only.

I cannot do the login which requires Login: admin and password: zoomadsl. It just returnes to the login screen. I tried it without the password as well. the password was supplied in my chat with zoom tech.

He said in answer to my question (about signal dropouts on the Zoom) :

" There is one thing that I can have you try but I can't guarantee that it's going to work. Before you begin, make sure the Ethernet cable is running from the modem to the computer, then follow the steps below.

1) Open Internet Explorer and type 192.168.1.1 in to the address bar and press enter. It'll then ask for a username and password.

Username: admin
    Password: zoomadsl.

2) On the left hand side, click on Advance Setup>DSL.

3) Underneath "Select Modulation Below" uncheck all the options except T1.413.

4) Click Save/Apply at the bottom."

I never got through the login to the zoom.

This sounds like it could be a Zoom problem if I am unable to login to it to setup the Trendnet. I could insist on a replacement. From your experience can you say this is a reason to declare the Zoom defective? The telephone company has since closed their local office but I go down to their town frequently.

I never got further replies from the Zoom tech. They drop messages after 72 hours-- lots of rules with them-- and who can keep up with that?

15. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

This is too much. I tried to send a screen shot of the manual page and your system says it's the wrong file extension. Enough of that.

My book page 7 says Green light on Status and don't question it any more.

Why this is so I have no idea. Whatever you are looking up is not the same as supplied on the Trendnet setup cd.

here is the text only version of my page 7:

HARDWARE INSTALLATION
    Front Panel
    The figure below shows the front panel of the Broadband Router.
    4-Port 10/100Mbps Ethernet Broadband Router Front Panel
    POWER
    This indicator lights green when the hub is receiving power. Otherwise, it
    is off.
    STATUS
    This indicator blinks green when the Internet Broadband Router is
    successfully working. If the indicator is either always on or off, the
    Internet Broadband Router is not working properly.
    WAN
    This indicator lights green when the WAN port is connected to an
    xDSL/Cable modem successfully.
    This indicator blinks green while the WAN port is transmitting data to or
    receiving data from the xDSL/Cable modem.
    LAN (Link/A

Now that's enough on the lights. You have to understand that from my side, you are telling me black is white.
    It would be preferable if there were an actual Trendnet TW100 owner on here to confirm what I say.

That's enough for me for today.

16. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

IF your zoom modem is doing pppoe you need to do one of the following, set it too bridged mode, and use your trendnet to do ppoe. B set your trendnet to take dhcp from the modem and do the routing that way, thus leaving the zoom as is. For the record i asked for your isp so we can see how they usually setup there connections ie ppoa, ppoe so on. For the record i did dsl support with several companies for 4 years of my life so i apolgize if you think we are telling you black is white, then you can always find help on some other free forum.

17. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

I am back.

This has been a longer process due to these apparent changes in a manual and that's the specific thing I was referring to.

Then there's the problem of not being able to log into the Zoom. I got the manual download and I see what I should be able to get after their login screen but that refuses to load. I can only guess that it's this company unit and needs to be changed out.

Right now the addition of the Trendnet router shows that a router in the Zoom is already present but needs to be setup: something that a Zoom tech started with but timeouts on their reply policy expired and so nothing from them (this can happen over a weekend of 72 hours and so Zoom has not been helpful.)

[The suggestion which Colemanguy will be familiar with was to open the Zoom dialog and set a speed threshold higher to allow more throughput. I'll see if I can find the quote from them....

quoting

2) On the left hand side, click on Advance Setup>DSL.

3) Underneath "Select Modulation Below" uncheck all the options except T1.413.

4) Click Save/Apply at the bottom. "

unquote from the Zoom guy.

Back a few frames you asked about other devices. There are none:

System under discussion

AMD Athlon II x3 450 Regor 3.2 Ghz
    MSI 880GM-E41 mainboard
    Kingston DDR3 Hyperx/fb 2x2Gb
    Seagate Baracuda 160Gb IDE HD
    Logisys 480w Power supply
    USB mouse
    corded keyboard
    using onboard video by ATI

And last (by my counting of variables) there's the P2P software called Tixati which seems to have known problems. Like Comodo, it is an alternative to better known programs of it's type. The addition of the Trendnet router is purposefully to correct for this program's tendency to shut down the internet connection and require a full reset of the dsl Zoom modem.

Major Geeks is a trusted site and I respect the knowledge base here. But misunderstandings do happen in a situation like this. Personal offense was never intended. I am ready to continue.

I will reread the latest response.

18. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

Had a computer crash yesterday and so no activity on the Trendnet.

This may belong elsewhere, but someone explain why I cannot post a screenshot. I am getting a BMP error. Your screenshot dialog either tells me the size of my jpg is to big or I get this BMP problem. The dialog shows it accepts jpg. How can I get my screen shots to you at the acceptable size?

I use the Gadwin screenshot program which avoids having to go to a paint prog etc to make the image.

On that crash of my hard disk, I used the Major Geeks recommendation for the Smart Defrag program. It found a lot of fragments. Perhaps that fixed everything but too early to tell.

19. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

Smart Defrag is a good program but the data flow did not change and I still have to reset after use of the Tixati software. Tixati runs over night here. Next day it's still going but a hard reset is needed at the Zoom modem.

My initial question about the Trendnet is insoluable for the following reasons:

A replacement dsl modem from my service did not change the behavior of the Trendnet at all. I did the proper setup and power up but the Trendnet -- which should be a plug and play device at least at the level of a four port switch refuses to pass data. Leaving aside what color the blinking light should be, status never had shown anything reliable and Windows XP shows the failure to pass data. The only way I can observe this is the icons in the tray.

Unless there is a firmware solution for the Trendnet, further action with a company product from the ISP cannot be considered. It's always possible the Trendnet unit is just bad. Or I need a new fileshare program.

Too many variables for Lon to handle. Like Dirty Harry says; "A man has to know his limitations."

There is an alternate Zoom dealer in town. He may have heard of Trendnet problems. I may pay him a visit.

That brings me up to date.

20. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

After a visit with the service provider we are working under the assumption that the router is malfunctioning.

This place has been very cooperative over the years so they gave me one of their other dsl modems to swap out. Not thinking, I did not check their little bag before leaving. Only later I discovered that they gave me one of their single port Actiontec models as I had had many years ago. I did all the plug tests I could with this modem with the Trendnet router and still nothing.

Next step was getting things going with only one ethernet now available at the dsl modem ( I have to drive a way to get to the NTD office.) I had a Dlink switch on the shelf. When using the the Actiontec previously a four port switch worked to connect two machines and pass data as I had been having problems with.

Since connection the Actiontec to the Dlink switch I have had no droputs requiring reset at all. I have to control the file share program so the data pipe does not get stuffed but I have had no resets since removing the Zoom and the Trendnet.

The company offered to test the Trendnet at the phone company (Northern Data and Telephone) when I would bring it to them to see if they can confirm the Trendnet is not functioning.

I make this long reply for any who might not have considered using a four port switch rather than a router to connect a small XP Workgroup to the dsl modem.

21. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I am interested in this statement. Does your DSL supplier allow more than one IP address? Are you a business? If you were only getting 1 IP address from the ISP provider then a 4 port switch would not work because it does not have the NAT'ing capability of a router.

22. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

The usual setup I do is get an ip address automatically and get DNS automatically when I first set up the modem with them. They provide the instruction sheet of the Win XP screens. I am no sort of telecom expert.

23. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Just for clarification.......a single IP address supplied by the ISP will not allow multiple accesses to the Internet with multiple devices. A switch does not have the logic to allow that to happen, you need a router.

A switch can not allow multiple devices through a DSL connection offering ONE IP address.

I just don't want other folks to get the idea that they can connect a switch to their DSL modem which will allow multiple devices access to the Internet.

..........no TELECOM expert either.

24. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

That clarification is appreciated and well-taken.

I would like to know though, why I have such a problem making a screen shot upload to Major Geeks. Message I get is size to big. Is there some thread that gives advice on this? I've simply used a print screen program called Gadwin to make and store the screen shot-- jpg in a directory.

25. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

test attach jpg

Attached Files:

26. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

I just attached a .jpg and it appears as there are limits. 97.7KB for .jpg and .bmp.

27. loninappleton

loninappleton Corporal

Yes I don't know what the solution is to making something a smaller size other than cropping or going back to some multi-step method of getting an attachment in. Would it be such a problem for MG to simply allow a larger size?

28. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

That question should be directed to the folks that run the site. That may be a good question to ask and I'm sure they will give you a very good answer. Go to the bottom of the page and click on CONTACT US.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds