When do I use "My server requires authentication"?

Discussion in 'Software' started by chookers, Nov 19, 2007.

1. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Hi all,

Hopefully someone here can explain WHY and WHEN you would use this instead of HOW to use this. I can find lots of information telling me to use it or not use it, depending on whether I am a uni student, with Yahoo, setting up OE, etc. I can't seem to find information about what exactly this is doing.

The reason I ask this is because I have just been asked to fix a friend's Outlook program to allow her to send emails. For ages, she's been able to get emails in but not send them. She is a Yahoo emailer and uses Dodo for her ISP. After much poking about (the 2003 version on XP has a funny setup) I checked "My server requires authentication" and now she can send emails.

I'm making a guess that perhaps because Yahoo isn't the ISP and Dodo isn't the email provider, that Yahoo wants to check that she is authorised to use their mail server and that this would be when you would check this box.

Anyone able to tell me?

Thanks.

2. RuntOfTheLitter3

RuntOfTheLitter3 Private E-2

It depends on the host supporting the emails whether or not this needs to be checked. If you need to login to the outgoing server as well as the incoming server, you will need this setting.

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I don't know of any public Email provider that requires authentication. Your provider would have such a requirement in their specification. If you wanted to use secure email you would have to set it up with the provider, at extra cost. Try

www.a-q.co.uk

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Gmail requires it.

5. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Been a while till I could get back to read this.

Thanks all. So it seems that basically it comes down to whether the email provider decides to require it. The strange thing is, since fixing her problem, I've seen some info supplied by Yahoo leading you through troubleshooting (which I was unable to find at the time by keyword searching) and one of the steps says that if you still can't send emails, try clicking that check box. This doesn't sound like Yahoo requires it, rather like it is something that may or may not be necessary for your system. Perhaps their documentation isn't quite accurate.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds