When I run RogueKiller my computer crashes and I get bluescreen

Discussion in 'Software' started by dorkycyclist, Sep 23, 2013.

1. dorkycyclist

dorkycyclist Private E-2

When I run RogueKiller my computer crashes and I get a bluescreen., I am running Windows XP on a Dell Latitude D620. I have two partitions. I used the error reporting service for Microsoft and this linked me to a message that attributed the issue to a driver.

I have manually installed a few drivers on this machine including one for an external USB mouse. The rest came from my Dell System Tools CD so I don't think the other drivers on my machine are at fault.

Also, I've had reports from Norton about various browser plug-ins and other software processes eating up too much memory on my CPU:

Norton caught this process using up too much memory:
    c:\program files\java\jre7\bin\jqs.exe

Norton caught this process using up too much memory:
    c:\program files\mozilla firefox\plugin-container.exe

Also, Norton caught this process also using up too much memory:
    c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\local settings\temp\cr_ca067.tmp\setup.exe

Also, my games are running slow. Anyhow, I have already uninstalled the mouse driver via the control panel. However, this did nothing and I'm guessing something nasty got downloaded along with the driver.

I uninstalled the Java 7 runtime environment from my computer when the high CPU usage issue first appeared and Java was indicated as the source of the problem. I strangely have been unable to uninstall one of the Java components in the control panel. This component is Java 7 Update 25.

Since this problem emerged I've been repeatedly unable to reinstall Java- no matter what installation method I've used. The Java installation stops mid-process saying the file c:\windows\installer\jer1.7.0_25-c.msi is corrupted or missing.

I've ran MBAM, and Norton and both found nothing. I've also run Hitman Pro, MG Tools and Hijack this. Hitman came up clean, I haven't read all the MGTools logs and HijackThis showed nothing that stood out to me as significant, though I may be wrong.

I'm guessing something is hiding in the processes running up memory on my CPU. I'm guessing whatever the malware is has stowed itself in the Java Update component and this is derailling RogueKiller.

Do you have any suggestions? :confused

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I do have a suggestion, no insult intended, and that would be there are better malware programs than Norton, like AVG, MalwareBytes, and Avast. In fact, McAfee and Norton are at the top of the list when it comes to software I clean up after.

If you don't have a copy of Windows you can honestly work from, you can boot a Kaspersky CD and scan your Windows install.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/kaspersky_rescue_disk.html

If you can work from Windows, try running TDSSKiller from Kaspersky to see what it turns up.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/kaspersky_tdsskiller.html

Also, MalwareBytes free scanner is probably one of malware's worst enemies:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. dorkycyclist

dorkycyclist Private E-2

5. dorkycyclist

dorkycyclist Private E-2

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds