When i try to reformat c.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stuffhelps, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Stuffhelps

Stuffhelps Private E-2

Alright i don't know this this is the right section , but here i go..
    Whenever i try to reformat c to delete files it won't work,it says my system is installed on there and i have windows vista on my D:,and i dont know much about computer . Sortah. Well anyway is there a safe way to reformat c?I just want to reformat C to delete all those junks/applications. Mostly i dont need it cause i have my softwares on D,now i use D.
    So how would i reformat C?

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

This is aimed more for multi OS booters. I name all my drives instead of relying on drive letters which change constantly, especially when one has 5 flavours of windows installed.:-D

3. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Locksmith has it dead on.

When you go to re-install, you only work on C:, as D: is a partitioned, and for lack of a better description, a virtual drive.

It is designed as a recovery drive, which is why most manufacturers don't supply recovery discs with PCs anymore.

I'll wager you only have one hard drive. (HDD)

What I would do is back up all your apps and data to disc, and save it for after a clean re-install.

D: is not designed to be a bootable drive when it is a recovery partition on a single HDD.

4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

There is another possible scenario here. If the OP is right, and Vista is actually installed on D as a dual boot with XP presumably on C, then Vista will not allow C to be reformatted because Vista's booting files in this setup are always located on C. It's the stupid way Microsoft decided to do things.

@ Stuffhelps - does this machine have XP on C: ? Are you offered the choice of XP or Vista when you boot? If so you cannot reformat C from Vista, and if you try to do it from a Vista DVD you will lose Vista too.

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

How many physical hard drives do you have?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds