When powering up PC, it continues to reboot itself

Discussion in 'Software' started by mmurphy, Oct 7, 2008.

1. mmurphy

mmurphy Private E-2

system is an HP PAvillion a700n running xp.....when i power on the system, the system starts to boot, I see hte MS XP screen etc, but then after a little bit, it starts to reboot and goes through the boot-up process again. The system just continues to reboot itself and I can neve get to desktop/icons. Any ideas?

Thx

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi and Welcome

As a starter can you boot into Safe Mode ok (F8 at boot and choose Safe Mode with Networking )?

3. mmurphy

mmurphy Private E-2

I've tried booting into safe mode, but it did same thing. I will try this now and post if it works. Thx

4. mmurphy

mmurphy Private E-2

ok, tried f8 in safe mode with netowrking, but it continues to reboot itself.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

6. mudbog

mudbog Private E-2

I had the same problem with a Dell. It wouldn't start from a CD either. Can you boot from a cd?

7. sdgman500

sdgman500 Private E-2

I just fixed a computer with this problem. After opening the case to start unplugging stuff...I noticed the heat sink was askew. Looks like the bracket for the heat sink broke so it wasn't sitting firmly on the processor. I'm guessing it was over heating. After getting a new bracket....it ran smoothly.

Just something to check.

8. beylism

beylism Private E-2

I'm having the same problem
    the heatsink is not a problem in my case.
    The same is happening on two diferent systems.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds