When the phone rings it resets my modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimpeel, Dec 31, 2012.

1. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

When the phone rings it resets the modem, everything stops until it resets. Streaming ceases and I get a message that the stream had a problem.

I have a filter on the line but I still get a hiss on the phone line when I use the phone. I had the original filter that came with the modem and thought it had perhaps gone bad so I replaced it with another filter. No improvement.

I have considered it could be a possible issue with the tip/ring connections. Haven't tried anything along those lines yet. There are several extensions in the house.

Anyone have any suggestions on what causes this and what the cure might be?

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Have you tried changing the filter, or doing a Home run from the NID on the side of your house, if you live in a home, just for the modem? Who is your provider that you have? When I had DSL, I ran a home run into a RJ-11 Keystone from the NID, then at the Keystone jack, placed the filter there, since we only had one cordless phoneset. The Modem plugged into its jack, the line running to the keystone for the phoneset had a connection from there to the phone side of the filter.

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

The filtures should be used on every phone plugged into the phone lines in the house, or any device that uses the phone ie if your direct tv/dish has a phone connection to order programing with, it needs to be filitured. Unless as brownizs had asked, you have a filturing at the nid, which is the box coming into your house, an easy way to see if thats the case if your unsure is to move your dsl phone plugin to another phone outlet, and see if you still get sync, if you do, then your not using a whole house filture type setup.

4. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Changed the filter. No difference.

The RJ-11 that the phone line and modem are plugged into is on the opposite side of the wall from the NID or a run of less than two feet.

Every phone in the house has a filter.

The phone provider was Qwest but they were purchased by CenturyLink.

This has been an ongoing problem for some time but I have simply grown weary of it and finally decided to ask for assistance in solving this thing.

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If you are just swapping filters that are in the house, of course it will not work. Go to Radio Shack and get a new filter. BTW, What is the brand & model of the phone that is causing this?

6. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Are you saying that there is a filter I can get that goes on the NID for the entire house?

The event happens even when there are no phones connected.

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Yes, if you can still find them. I just used a regular filter like I stated before. If it happens with no phones connected, connect the modem directly to the NID if you are in a house at the test jack, and see if it happens again. Could be bad telephone cord, so try a new one out of the package.

If it happens at the NID at the test jack, with no filter installed, then you have no choice but to file a trouble ticket with CenturyLink. You could also try a new modem and see what happens also.

8. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Thanks, I'll try that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds