When to clear CMOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jwill58, Apr 21, 2008.

1. jwill58

jwill58 Private E-2

I recently installed/upgraded my CPU. I went from a A64 X2 5400+ up to a A64 X2 6400+ . Two days later I became aware of a BIOS update(I have an MSI K9N Diamond ) I had BIOS ver. 1.1 and flashed up to ver 1.8 . My question is this...everything is better , however I get the feeling that I should have cleared my CMOS after the BIOS flash. Is this correct ? Any help is appreciated.
    jwill58

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.:) You only need to clear your CMOS if you had a bad burn, which you obviously don't have. Clearing it brings it back to factory condition. I had to flash mine when I went to an X2 from my single cored Venice on my ASUS.BTW, that's quite a jump in versions.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I have read that it is recommended to clear the CMOS before flashing the BIOS. Clearing the CMOS just puts the current version of the CMOS back to default. It does not revert it to the older version.

No point in clearing it now, when you flashed it, you got the default BIOS. Now there are some nice mobo's that will save your old BIOS settings and let you put them back in...

The BIOS is on NVRAM. It saves the settings even without power. When you flash it, you delete the old, and install the new version, and hopefully all works.

But like Augie said, if it ain't broke, don't mess with it! A bad flash can make your mobo a doorstop.

E

4. jwill58

jwill58 Private E-2

Thanks guys ! I've been waiting to update to SP1 (Im running Vista HP )but I have some hiccups that currently prevent me from aquiring the update through the safe method of "automatic updates".I also noticed an old mentor of mine(www.bosamar.com/K9N/faq.html )had flashed his Diamond mb from 1.1 to 1.7. I just used the simplest method I found and flashed...shazam ! I had v1.8 in two shakes of a lambs tail and now Im smooth as silk. I still have yet to update to SP1 but all things in good time. I really appreciate the replies ,as you know , good help is so hard to find these days.
    thanks again,
    jwill58

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds