When window opens right side of page cut off

Discussion in 'Software' started by ASUS, Apr 12, 2004.

1. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Got new rig set up for my son.
    XP PRO
    Asus A7V8X-X (bios ver 1009)
    Athlon XP2400
    Maxtor 30gb 7200rpm
    DDR pc2100 256mb
    Nvidia FX5200 ( use one 17"crt & Tv)
    4x32x CDrw (old one)
    cdrom(old one)
    sony floppy
    all updates installed.

He uses aol messsenger to chat with friends, when he opens window, on the right side of page, text is cut off.
    If open Nvida Nview desktop manager right side of window text is cut off there too. Others windows too.
    First thought graphics drivers, but when did first set up, used a basic matrox video card, no agp card or drivers installed yet, and when flashed bios I remember some of the text in the asus update utility was also cut off, didnt think much of it then. At that time was bios ver 1007

Any one have any ideas??
    Thanks.

2. kissfreak

kissfreak Private E-2

I think this may have happened to me. I moved my moniter & the screen moved down. there is a button on the front on the monitor that I think I accidently adjusted. there's also 1 on mine that moves it left/right. hope it's that simple.

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

No thats not the problem, the monitor is adj is fine,
    wish was that simple,
    Thanks anyway Kissfreek
    If I can figure out how to post a screen shot, I'll post one?

4. acejones

acejones A Different Title

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

just a quicky has the look of the windows and XP been changed "a la themes" ... more the default text?

in Display Properties > Appearance > Advanced ( also in their is the text size is it set to normal )

are you using Accessability options as one of them AFAIK changes text size.

another thing to try is if you are using the luna theme try changing it to classic see if that works if so then change back to luna.

6. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Here Is screen shot, maybe first try for screen shot!

Halo text size is set to normal

Attached Files:

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

just re-read your initial post and missed the bit about the matrox gfx card being used before the Nvidia... on install XP would have installed basic drivers for that card, I wounder if their are some reminents left of the matrox as you said you had the same missing bits.

check hardware devices for an additional display adapter.... eg. matrox

I would remove the Nvidia drivers and reboot so XP uses the standard VGA driver ( the screen will look nasty colour/resolution wise ) then install the Nvidia's again but make sure they are not beta drivers, use the latest ones from Nvidia's WWW

8. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Are you running a fairly high screen resolution with larger than standard fonts, or "DPI Settings", as WinXP calls it? If so, a lot of programs don't adjust their window sizes to accomodate those larger fonts properly, causing text & sometimes boxes to run out of the assigned window or space allotted for them.

If so, try setting the font size back to standard and see if the boxes behave normally. If so, you'll likely have to decide on teeny tiny text, or run a lower screen resolution to blow the text & icons up to a readable size, as this problem is due to how the various programs are set up, not due to your vid card or drivers.

9. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Thanks for help

Just for record I have solved the problem, thru pc out the window and ran over with my truck!
    JUST KIDDING!!

Best as I could tell was not issue with bios, video cards, or drivers, problem was there with two versions of bios, two different video cards one of which AGP, or drivers.
    I was careful to remove old drivers before install new.
    Never thought was drivers or V cards, and unlikely two versions of bios!
    I decided to do repair install of XP, to save the programs already installed,
    During repair I did get warning file missing from sp1, never seen that before when doing repair ( if I remember rite you lose sp1 during repair any way)

Id have to say I probably got bad download of SP1 on the first time around.

ALL GOOD NOW! PC RUNNING GOOD ( kid happy too for a change)

10. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Just thought I throw this in,
    I probably did not explain problem very clear,(read my first post again)
    Most windows and web pages opened fine all text visable all of most pages normal.
    If I opened a window in another window (not all ) the second window would at first glance appear to be normal just the right side of text cut off and would be unable to scroll the page to view, the frame or boarder was there , just text cut off
    I noticed on other odd thing: Asus probe when opened the text there was so small I could hardly read, was not cut off.

anyway FIXED.

MAJORGEEKs ROCKS

11. dweeb2b

dweeb2b Private E-2

a note to anyone who is unfamiliar with screenshots: iview391.exe is available here (somewhere) and is a great LITTLE tool for taking screenshots of whole or part of screen and compressing them, croping, etc. otherwise simply press ctrl+prt scr and open paint then press ctrl+v to paste the shot into paint. save from there for whatever purpose. very handy for Tech Supp scenarios...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds