Where to download the right sp2/sp3 updates

Discussion in 'Software' started by jak3y, Jan 15, 2006.

1. jak3y

jak3y Guest

I want to do a slipstream of xp, hate having to download the stuff everytime i install my winxp-sp2, so figured and im sure of it, that what im downloading now in terms of updates is sp3, with the newest patch that Microsoft was pressured to release last week.
    Anyone know the proper site on M$?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. PrinZe_ALi

PrinZe_ALi Private E-2

is that Service pack 3 for XP?

4. DavidGP

is what Service Pack 3 ..... I ask as it doesnt exist as yet, all updates from MS since SP2 was released have a SP3 tag as they will all be rolled up into a SP3 if and when it is released.

The URL I posted is for allowing you to download whichever update you want to your HD to allow install on multiple machines ( saves downloading it on each PC ) a la network installs or for adding to a slipstream. Its basically the MS back catalogue for updates for all OSes.

5. jak3y

jak3y Guest

Hmmm didn't work in FireFox obviously, copied link, wouldn't open in IE.

6. DavidGP

works for me so dunno whats up, try this non shortened version
    listed are these for post XP SP2
    or you could search through technet as they list the majority of updates http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.aspx

7. jak3y

jak3y Guest

Would you happen to know if it's possible to slipstream all these along with sp2?
    thanks btw:cool::cool::cool:

8. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Can get most any update here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en
    To locate any update simply enter the Hot fix # (Example KB873339) into the search box, or scroll thru popular downloads, then when you choose to download you will have option to run or save to the location of your choice.
    You can slipstream SP2 & all the MS updates since, I also slipstream my SATA drivers. ( I use Nlite)
    Your only limitation is the size of your CD, which isnt a problem all the curent updates will fit on 700mb cd

9. jak3y

jak3y Guest

k so i have all my hotfix updates.
    do i just slipstream with sp2? or how does this work?

10. jak3y

jak3y Guest

Well for some reason Halo, on the link you gave, i tried 898461 KB and it says no matching files were found.
    But it is a KB update because it's listed in the add/remove programs list.
    Any ideas?:cool::cool::cool:

11. DavidGP

which link as i supplied two, one was to the security updates in which as I said may not have all of them but the catalogue most likely would ( see screenie below ) you could also use the link ASUS provided or simply type the KB# into google and the majority of the time you will be linked to where to download the package from eg. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...E1-9A67-4B99-A65A-069B79267856&displaylang=en

image from Windows Catalogue
    [​IMG]

12. jak3y

jak3y Guest

The micro$oft technet one.
    I got the download and ANOTHER THING that really gets me :mad: is i installed the WGA plug-in ages ago, and i STILL GET PROMPTED to install it...wthell is going on?

13. DavidGP

WGA gets updated periodically :)

why I hear you ask.. well to cause some minor hassle to the ones who are using hacks to bypass it ( not saying thats what your doing ) is the reason, your prompted again, happens to all of us, wether we have perviously installed it or not.

14. jak3y

jak3y Guest

Fair enough, I guess I won't bother putting the WGAinstall executable in my latest nLite CD then.
    Thanks, didn't know they updated that part of Windows, figured it's the validation tool with the coding which will determine whether someone gets an update or not, but I assume it's (wgainstall) a part of the process.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds