Where to find new drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dekade, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

Hi forum,

Per suggestions from this website to download "Driver Scanner", I did just that.

Then I ran the software and discovered 8 "out of date" drivers. Then the software wants you to buy it so that you can download the drivers.

I'm not interested in buying the software.

Can't the drivers be downloaded manually? Seems like they could or should be.

For example, the Driver Scanner shows that a High Definition Audio Device driver is out of date. It says that the installed driver is v6.1.7601.17514 and that there is a newer driver v6.0.1.6602 available.

Then I thought I could just go to Device Manager and update the driver manually. So, I find the device and it does confirm that the installed driver is the v6.1.7601.17514. Then I do an 'update driver'. The search goes to the web and comes back saying that the driver installed on my machine is up to date.

My machines are home builds.

Is there somewhere that I can go to find this v6.0.1.6602 driver as well as other drivers?

Softpedia is no help - tried that.

Seems like I am missing something during my efforts to manually acquire current drivers.

Can someone help steer me in the right direction? Running Win7 Professional X64.

Thanks,

Dekade

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Dekade...

For the most part the MajorGeeks Drivers page contains links to the most popular driver repositories. That, or just visit the OEM (AMD, nVidia, Creative, Realtek, whatever the case may be) websites to get the latest and greatest software.

Also, MG is working with the eSupport company on the MajorGeeks Software Updater which contains a driver update function - this program is in beta and there is a dedicated bug report page.

3. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

There are countless softwares that scan your Windows system for deficiencies, then want to get paid in order to repair them. I regard all these softwares as a scam!

There is one free driver update tool that lets you download 2 drivers per day: DriverMax. I have used it since version 1, and it has always worked great!

However, you need to know what you are doing; don't install blindly any suggestion it makes. If you are unsure, better use Caliban's suggestion to download drivers from the original manufacturers' websites.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Personally I would not use any driver scanner app, although DriverMax works ok. For me and many drivers do not need to be updates that often, in the main the ones that do are graphics/printer/network and of those graphics is the main one to update on a regular basic and from Majorgeeks or the original makers site as in NVidia, AMD, or Intel only.

To randomly update drivers in the main causes many issues as not all all-in-one driver updates know what drivers you need as they can NEVER cover all makes of PC, so they offer generic drivers that can mess up your currently working driver.

So my honest advice is to never update a working driver as in if its working ok now leave it alone.

5. Dekade

Dekade Sergeant

DavidGP, Pwillener, and Caliban,

I understand fully what you all have offered and will certainly be paying close attention to the decisions I make from here on out on drivers. I guess the old saying applies here also - "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Thanks Again,

Dekade

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds