Where to find SearchMyFiles 'user manual' ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by akm, Mar 12, 2014.

1. akm

akm Sergeant

Downloads indicate' SearchMyFiles' user manual included but, after downloading, cant find.
    Browsing finds (for me) nothing. :-o
    Thoughts ?

2. Ewen

Ewen Corporal

Does the programme have a Help file?

3. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

4. akm

akm Sergeant

Thank you for the reply.
    No 'help file' that could find.
    'Help' button only has 'about'.
    I just submitted the question at http://www.nirsoft.net/contact-new.html...
    maybe some help there.
    Will get back with results... ie hopefully there will be something helpful. :zzz

5. akm

akm Sergeant

[update]Re: Where to find SearchMyFiles 'user manual' ?

No reply from 'SearchMyFiles' (website support) folks.
    Curious, why would MajorGeeks support (have download) for such a program with such 'support' ?
    :confused

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Screenshot
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/search_my_files.html

7. akm

akm Sergeant

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  8. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Akm, what folder did you extract the "SearchMyFiles" zip file to? The zip file contains 3 files:
    • SearchMyFiles.exe
    • Readme.txt
    • SearchMyFiles.chm
    All 3 files should be in the same folder.

Both the "readme.txt" file and the "SearchMyFiles.chm" file have instructions on how to use the program. They both contain the same content.

If you found the "Feedback" section then you scrolled past the "Using SearchMyFiles" and "Search Options" instructions.

9. akm

akm Sergeant

Thanks for the clarification.
    Yes, those 2 files were in the zip, but no indication (that I could find) they were 'manuals'.
    They looked very identical to the 'about' page at...
    http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/search_my_files.html
    ...which I didnt necessarily consider a manual, but guess depends on how you look at it.
    So, guess thats it, and btw, looks like once you find the duplicates, there is no way to delete them (in one fell swoop :) ) with SearchMyFiles ?
    At least I havent heard back from the SMF 'support' folks on that question.
    No big deal, but Im still looking for a easy-to-use, freeware, that will find and delete duplicate files.
    Most start out with free-trial, but need to buy in order to use on 'more-featured/larger' scale.
    rolleyes
    Ps: Just a note (if your profile is correct), I worked with my father, in Ohio, at his auto body shop, in the 50s. Great experience !

10. plastidust

I don't understand.

Once the duplicate files are listed, you can create a group of files to delete by [Ctrl]+[Left-Click] on the individual files to be deleted. The same as in Windows Explorer file manager.

Or you can [Left-Click] on a file to be first in a list, scroll down to a file to be the last in the list and then [Shift]+[Left-Click] on that last file. That will select all the files from the first one clicked to last one clicked.

Once you have the files highlighted press [Shift]+[Delete] or, from the "File" menu select "Delete Selected Files".

Using duplicate file finders can be dangerous. It's easy to delete files that the OS needs or that you want to keep.
    Ah, the days of stout metal and lead, Detroit Iron.:major

11. akm

akm Sergeant

Thanks for the feedback.
    Am trying to purge/sort thousands of files, on an ext HD, by first deleting duplicates.
    So, it sounds, unlike some other duplicate-finders, it is not possible, with SMF, to massively delete all duplicates instead of selecting them individually out of the list (in this case thousands) of all files sorted to show duplicates ?
    Ie, am assuming the list of duplicate files includes all the files and would need to not select one file in order to keep an original ?
    Guess thats the kind of thing was hoping might find in a 'manual'... or from support request.
    Wow, almost forgot about the metal guage... but not about the sanding !

12. plastidust

Yeah, at the moment I don't see a way to filter out the original files and just find the duplicates with SearchMyFiles.

Glary Utilities - MajorGeeks used to have a pretty good duplicate file finder. I don't have it installed on this machine so don't know if it still good or not.

The old version that I have on the other computers nags at you once in while to upgrade to the pro version. Not a big deal, just thought I'd let you know in case you decided to try it. I've intended to install the latest version, just haven't gotten around to it. Now is as good a time as any I guess.

Yep, lots of sanding. Before they started making vehicles out of chewing gum rappers and plastic, collision repair was an art.

13. plastidust

I think Glary Utilities - MajorGeeks "Remove duplicates" option may be your ticket. It has a "Check Intelligent" feature that should do what you want as long as you set the filters correctly. See thumbnail.

Attached Files:

14. akm

akm Sergeant

Thanks for the info (SMF) and suggestion (GU).
    Do you know, or is there a place to look for the main difference/s between the GU freeware and pay-for versions ?
    Also, just emailed Glarysoft to ask them about the duplicate finder/deleter function and the freeware/pay-for question... so may get some update info that way, and will post back if/not so.
    'Art'... yeh, guess thats it, Dads motto/goal was the fix must be better than when it was new. And of course that made the sons job even more 'fun'. :)

15. plastidust

Not off hand but, if you go to the Glary Utilities Pro - FAQs page you'll see several statements about un-installing/removing the Glarysoft toolbar and Glary Search from Windows and various browsers. I installed the free version(4.8.0.97) last night and no toolbars were added nor were any changes made to the browsers. The occasional nag is still there though. It shows up once in a while when you boot/re-boot the computer. But no, I've not found any comparison charts listing the differences in the versions.

Might have a look at this Glary Utilities..... - MajorGeeks Support Forums old thread from July of 2008.

There are four versions:
    If you try the free version and like it, you can upgrade to the pro version. If you don't like it, you can un-install it.

What ever you decide, I would recommend not using the "1-Click Maintenance" or "Registry Cleaner" features. The "Registry Cleaner" trashed a WordPerfect installion on one of my computers. Back-ups are handy. Glary Utilities is relatively powerful and can cause much grief if used improperly.
    All that 'fun' helped make the vehicle look like it never needed any repair.

16. akm

akm Sergeant

Thanks for the followup !
    Got an email answer back from GS, fairly prompt and candid, with the comparison link...
    http://www.glarysoft.com/comparison.html
    Downloaded the free version and it gave me the promo option of buying the pro version for $11plus, which turned out to be a yearly subscription, as I believe you referenced in an earlier post.
    Decided not to 'subscribe', but may email to see if can donate, later, if works as well as it seems to do, ie at least for duplicate management.
    Ps: Are you still in the 'shop' ?

17. plastidust

Nice work. From looking at the FAQs page and the comparison chart, the free version is the better choice, IMO. That "1-Click-Maintenance" option should have a hazard sign for an icon. It's a good set of utilities to have on hand when you need them though.

The default for this version(4.8.0.97) is to start when Windows loads, that isn't necessary for what you are using it for. Un-checking the "Load Glary Utilities automatically on Windows startup" under "General Settings" will not only prevent auto-loading but put a stop to the occasional nag at boot time. Instead, it will occasionally nag when you launch the program.:-D

Another item it loads at Windows start-up is a "Boot Defrag Driver", file name "BootDefragDriver.sys". If you have a third party defragmenter installed, might be a good idea to disable that too. I used Microsoft Autoruns - MajorGeeks to disable that as I didn't see a way from "Settings" to do so.
    Nope:(, retired in November 2008, just puttz around in the garage now and then.:)

18. akm

akm Sergeant

Thanks for the suggestions...

Agreed, think free version will do all I need !
    Went there and unchecked just about everything.
    Went to OnlineArmor and looked at 'Autoruns'.
    Blocked BDD.
    Hope that will do it without another bunch of problems.
    1st time checked the OA autoruns. How would I identify any other 3rd party 'deframenter' ?
    Same here, semi-retired (by the economy). :zzz,
    My father put me through college to be an architect. In the middle of apprenticeship an older architect said, if his son ever suggested being an architect, he would break his fingers! :)
    Sometimes I think maybe the body shop would have been better... no shortage of wrecks cars. ;)

19. plastidust

You would probably know if you had a third party defragmenter as you would have intentionally installed it.
    Although, some all-in-one applications such as Advanced SystemCare 7 Free - MajorGeeks and now Glary Utilities include a defragmenter in the package. I think that was the main complaint about Glary Utilities, in the past it did not include a defragmenter.

Some popular third party defragmenters:Some folks prefer using the Widows built in defragmenter as it is sufficient, while others like a third party defragmenter because it offers some added features.
    Yep, see 'em rolling down the street all the time.

20. akm

akm Sergeant

Appreciate the info.
    Yes, MS DiskDefrag is good enough here.
    And, if I need some body shop advice, will be in touch! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds