which freeware program will make an image of my c drive?

Discussion in 'Software' started by surfmonkee, Nov 9, 2007.

1. surfmonkee

surfmonkee Private E-2

Having just had a complete computer crash, I now have my trusty old (7 years) internet machine breathing life again.

Two days ago it froze up and died:

reinstall XP.....failed

replacement graphics card from another machine....... failed

took everything out of the machine: graphics memory drives reset cmos, hoovered out the blanket of dust covering the fan and processor

spent a day in google and MG searching 'why wont my machine boot'

last night it came back to life and the result was a memory slab failure. I found this out by using the beeps from the motherboard when nothing was connected and gradually got it back to life again.....

The machine is now perfect again with a fresh install and i would like to make an image of the c: drive to burn on to dvd so i can easily restore the machine in future.

which freeware program would you suggest?

should I install the program on my d: drive so it can make an image of the c: drive, or do i install it on the c drive like normal?

any tips for this procedure would be most welcome and thanks to major geeks forums for initial advice that helped me bring back my trusty old machine from the dead.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2007
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

http://majorgeeks.com/DriveImage_XML_d4919.html

This is freeware to clone/image HD partitions or logial drives, but TBH and my personal opinion is that Acronis True Image is well worth the money as a drive imager, it will do everythin you need fine, its an app I love and has not let me down once.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I second Halo's suggestion. I run v7, which was given out free by Acronis on one computer and v8 on another computer.
    You can install it on c or d drive. Make sure you take the time and make either the 6 boot floppy set or the CD boot recovery. When windows won't load, this loads Acronis and you can restore your image. Since I always play it doubly safe, I have both.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds