Which HD backup program should I use?

Discussion in 'Software' started by natemere, Dec 16, 2005.

1. natemere

natemere Private E-2

I am adding a 320 GB drive to my pc which currently has a single 80 GB drive. I want to transfer all of the data I have including the operating system and programs to the new drive. Then I want to replace the 80 GB drive with another large HDD. So I guess I am looking to make a mirror image of the 80 onto the 320 and then make the pc fully functional without the 80 altogether. Then I can add the second large HDD. I have found a few suggestions but I just want to make sure that I can transfer the OS and then completely remove the 80 GB drive.
    Thanks for your help. I am fairly green so please include what may be obvious to others. Thanks!!!

The programs I read about are:
    HDclone
    Karen's Replicator
    Lexun Backup Solution
    windows backup solution: programs/ accessories/ backup

2. zephra

zephra Private First Class

I just used aloha bob.Not sure how much.It worked great!!!

3. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

What you have set out is pretty straightforward and relatively easy to do.

There are many progs that you can use Acronis, Partition Magic, etc.....
    I personally currently use PM(8) not because I love Symantec but because I was a long term user of PM when they were PowerQuest and I got used to the program.
    It can also be run uniquely in Dos mode with no windows installation whatsoever.

Good Luck

4. natemere

natemere Private E-2

Risk thanks for the reply

Has anyone used any of these freeware programs before? Will they or any other freeware programs do the trick?
    Also, I have noticed that at all of the recommended program websites they have free trial downloads. Anybody know if these will do the job for me?
    Thanks!

5. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

6. Bambo

Bambo Private First Class

Most are illegal unless Hiren has obtained magical license? ;)

If you are not into that try Driveimage XML http://runtime.org/dixml.htm Perhaps make a BartPE CD http://runtime.org/peb.htm Im sure it will end up being included in UBCD http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm I have only tried it 1 time but that was a successful on-the-fly backup of C: drive. Was sure it wouldnt work but it did. Am now browsing that xml file and its all there. CPU use was a bit high, 35-60% but really not much to chose from if you want freeware. With these features I think it is only one? If some could test it and/or research user experiences it should be added to this site I think.

"Since this program is currently distributed as freeware, we don't offer phone support for it" they say. Perhaps you can help them make it expensive payware by reporting some bugs? Well if it works who cares of their future motives.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds