Which Intel Processor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blitz Cakes, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Blitz Cakes

Blitz Cakes Private E-2

Ok... Which do you think would run faster and more effecient? A Pentium4 3.2 GHz Northwood core with HT, or a Pentium4 3.4 GHz Prescott core with HT. I know that the Prescott has 200 extra MHz, but i've heard that the longer pipeline of the Prescott reduces the speed slightly... Opinions please?

2. Blitz Cakes

Blitz Cakes Private E-2

Ah, nevermind, I found out that there is a Pentium4 Northwood with 3.4 GHz. But still, will the Northwood 3.4 GHz run faster, or the Prescott 3.4 GHz?

3. SiLenZe

SiLenZe Private First Class

http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040517/index.html

The lesson to be drawn from this is that whenever the core speed - and only the core speed - is increased, the Prescott will always be slightly ahead of the Northwood core. Therefore it will scale better, but it cannot deliver the added performance that Intel touts.

4. Blitz Cakes

Blitz Cakes Private E-2

Well, i'm planning to buy a 3.4GHz Processor, but I don't know if I should get the Northwood core or the Prescott core. Are you saying that the Prescott is slightly faster?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds