Which memory manufacturer would you recommend?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dsbnh, Aug 4, 2005.

1. dsbnh

dsbnh Private E-2

Maybe this is too common a question but I am looking to upgrade my memory (RDRAM) and haven't had much experience in this field with companies. So which company would you recommend and if possible why?

Thank you for any help in advance, it is much appreciated.

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Kingston and Corsair are 2 main brands amongst many others who I'd go for, and I'm sure many people here would agree. They're just more reliable than other retail memory.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Again like McA I would say those two, plus I would add Samsung as they were/are a major player in RDRAM ( I have a pc still running RDRAM and its Samsung memory, damm reliable )

sadly RDRAM is not at the forfront of PC memory thse days so maybe hard to find locally but you should be able to find it online in your country of origin.

also as you will already know, you will need to buy 2 exact sticks ( memory size, density and speed ) of RDRAM for it to work as they work in dual mode... easy way is to buy two of the same model number ram sticks, also do you know if your motherboard can take two more sticks of ram?

if you dont know what speed your RDRAM is running at download EVEREST install and run then click Motherboard > SPD and highlight any of the RIMMS and it will tell you its memory speed.

if your in the USA then this may help http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Category=17&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

4. dsbnh

dsbnh Private E-2

It can handle up to 2 gigs and it is pc800 so I was planning on just buying one stick and putting a C-RIMM on the other slot so I could run it along with the other two I have in there. Hopefully that would work.

5. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Before you buy...you might want to wait until someone experienced answers your last question!!

Reason being...like the others said...you have to upgrade TWO sticks at a time...the fillers are only for, if you have two extra slots!! They all have to run in pairs!! If my memory serves me correct...you can't upgrade one stick and use a filler in the other slot!!

But like I said...someone might correct me on this!!

Roger

6. DavidGP

As for using a Crimm as a repalcement to a second Rimm then NO, that wont work as your PC will not boot... it needs 2 Rimms of equal memory size and ram chip dencity, so best to but 2 at the same time with same model numbers.

7. Pleeb

Pleeb Private First Class

i would say Geil very good ram never had one problem with it runs fast and cool

8. DavidGP

While I would agree with you on Geil ( as with Muskin, Corsair, Kingstom, Crucial ) the question is about RDRAM which Geil dont produce.

RDRAM is a fast but expensive route to take in memory, one that was its downfall... its still available but only just to mainstream retail.

9. pacvan

pacvan Private First Class

I prefer Crucial and Corsair RAM.

10. dsbnh

dsbnh Private E-2

That is the point of this thread, yes.

That is where the "hope this works" part comes in: I am asking him, so don't jump the gun. Also, too many exclamations points there are a bit unsettling.

Good to know. I have plenty of slots available so I guess I won't have to buy CRIMM to fill those extra slots.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds