1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Ubuntu Distro is needed for Intel 64 bit operation in VMWare

Discussion in 'Software' started by augiedoggie, Dec 25, 2008.

1. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

OK, on the Ubuntu site, I enter the closest location, click the 64 bit radio button and what I get is an '8.10-desktop-amd64.iso'. I'd like to know if this will work for me before I blow more bandwidth and time. I installed the i386.iso and apparently it's 32 bit as the program I want to run is 64-bit only and won't start.

Oh, is there any way to check if Ubuntu is truly 32 bit or not, I've been through all menus. Please help this *nix newb.:confused Thanks all.:)
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  2. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

don't know whether you have read this

i do know that with mandriva its more advisable to use the 32 bit version (i have an i686 cpu), i tried the 64 version on another tower i have - too complecated for me
  3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Thanks for the link hawklord, I searched for something like that but couldn't find it.:)