Which video codec for AVI?

Discussion in 'Software' started by jizaref1, Jun 12, 2010.

1. jizaref1

jizaref1 Private First Class

I have a bunch of videos I am editing together with transitions and saving into an AVI container using a program called Magix Movie Edit Pro. They happen to be MOVs from a Canon camera, but I am using AVI since it streams better with the HTPC and PS3.

When I choose export to AVI, a variety of video codec options are listed, and I don't know how to choose which one is best. I am looking to preserve the best video quality, even though I know there will be compression. I will be playing on my home PC primarily, sometimes uploading to YouTube or facebook. I also want something common and versatile so that if I send/give it to someone else they won't have problems with playback.

If you can help me, the options to choose from are:
    - Cinepak Codec by Radius
    - Logitech Video (I420)
    - Intel Indeo Video R3.2
    - Intel Indeo Video 4.5
    - Intel IYUV codec
    - Microsoft RLE
    - Microsoft Video 1
    - Microsoft H.263 Video Codec
    - Microsfot H.261 Video Codec
    - Indeo video 5.10
    - Helix YV12 YUV Codec
    - ffdshow Video Codec
    - 3ivx MPEG-4.5.0.3 Video Codec
    - Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codec V1
    - Microsoft MPEG-4 Video Codex V2

Thanks
    Jeff

2. jizaref1

With some trial and error, it seems that "Indeo video 5.10" is giving me the best AVI output video quality of the options listed. I don't really care too much if file size is reduced. Any reason not to go with this? With other PCs play it?

3. jizaref1

Another follow up question:
    MPG or AVI, which is more universally playable across PCs and platforms?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds