White screen then crashes

Discussion in 'Software' started by peewhy, Oct 3, 2013.

1. peewhy

peewhy Private E-2

All of a sudden my screen goes white and freezes, sometimes blue - interestingly if I'm running Microsoft Essentials scan, it doesn't do it as often.

I've ran countless malware detectors and nothing found.

It's a laptop, vista home 32 bit

Any help would be appreciated
    This thread has been in the Malware section and it has been established that there are no viruses.

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Hello peewhy, taking a shot here, but have you checked your video driver to se if it's up to date ??

3. peewhy

peewhy Private E-2

It's certainly worth a shot Nick, how do I do that?

4. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Alright buddy, Start Menu - right click on Computer - click Properties - click Hardware tab- click Device Manager-click the little box next to Display Adapters or Display, when it drops down right click on the driver, click Update Driver, also look and see if you have any little yellow ? (question marks) anywhere in there .

5. peewhy

peewhy Private E-2

No question marks and Windows has determined the driver is up to date - worth checking though! - thank you!

6. empty_pockets

empty_pockets Private First Class

peewhy, I had a client bring in a desktop that behaving sort of like yours. I ckd. the memory sticks and the contacts were dirty. Cleaned them with alcohol and swab and it fixed it.

Might be worth a try.

7. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , sometimes overheating is the cause of this situation , at the bottom of the laptop there is a sticker with the model , even go to Start - Control Panel - System and Maintenance - System , what is the amount of Ram do you exist in you machine ? :wave

8. peewhy

peewhy Private E-2

Hello FalconAttack, the RAM is 2 gb

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds